[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Help for an 'Acne' Soap...

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:52 pm 

I have a customer from my clothing business that, well, she kinda self-attached herself to me. It's a looooong story. Anywho, she has a brother aged 17 who is currently suffering quite bad Acne. Apparently the mother spends a fortune on all sorts of creams, lotions, and every 'Acne' wash made available. She's now come asking me to make some soap for her because of course his skin is suffering worse under the onslaught of chemicals. :roll:

She knows I'm just learning, so I'm not worried there. Although I AM thinking perhaps I should use a MP base to be on the safer side since I've only been doing CP for like, a week. :lol: I was thinking Goat's Milk, with perhaps some oatmeal added? Or Goat's Milk scented with Tea Tree and Peppermint EO?

My questions are:
- Would a MP base work ok? Or should it be something done with CP?
- What would you recommend for Acne skin in a 17 year old boy?

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:43 am 

why not just direct her to try a simple cold process soap, perhaps from Whole Foods, I like the Sappo brand it's cheap and simple

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:38 am 

You could try an MP base with some added charcoal or a small amount of Neem oil. If it's cystic acne, he will need a prescription as no soap will help with that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:25 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:46 pm 

I would not use any type of a scrub on a sensitive face. Any fragrances can also contribute to breaking out and so do allergies. There is so much junk and chemicals on those type of products, no wonder it burns. Have her or him try a pure, unscented castile soap. If you need a moisturizer, have her try a plain oil like jojoba. Jojoba oil is very compatible with the sctructure of the skin and since it's not made from nuts, there is less change of any allergy reactions.

As far as make-up she might consider mineral make-up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:48 pm 

Yeah that's the main reason why I agreed to help - having sensitive skin myself, I know just how much 'bad' they are doing. And of course it's making no difference!

Castile soap is the 100% Olive oil soap?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:27 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:33 pm 

Ok thanks, I will have a go at making some up over the Xmas break.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:14 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:50 pm 

Oh wowzers! Ok, might need to think of something else as she expects something immediately. :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:33 pm 

I use Proactiv and love it.
However, even they tell you that if you stop using it, it will come back.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:39 pm 

His Acne comes back even though he keeps using it. I used Proactiv, but that gave me the worst rosacea :?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:07 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:35 am 

I made a soap for my 19-yo sister's body acne that she said works fairly well - she liked that it's an alternative to the irritating body washes she was using and I think she uses it on alternating days... I read up on various acne remedies in this forum and on the web, and came up with the following soap:

BB's goatsmilk MP base in two layers - one layer with kaolin clay and a bit of oatmeal (for gentle exfoliation); and one layer with activated charcoal. To get the kaolin to mix in I used a mini hand blender and blended it with bit of olive oil before adding it. I used tea tree oil to scent it rather than any FO. I did it bright pink and black glitter layers so it looked cute and didn't feel too medicinal. I also did a "guys" version for my bf's skin with one layer colored green with spirulina powder and one black layer with the activated charcoal.

The whole reason I got into soaping was because of my sensitive skin and eczema - I wanted an alternative to spending big bucks in the store on chemical and fragrance laden stuff. Being able to make things that help out friends and family members with their various skin issues is so nice. I switched about 4 months ago from a "sensitive skin" storebought moisturizer that was burning my face to an avocado/jojoba oil combination every morning and evening, along with a dry oil sunscreen from another thread on here, and homemade mineral makeup. It's really helping! Those crazy red patch flare ups and dry patches are a thing of the past, even through winter.

Good luck - I hope you find something that works for them!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:54 am 

Pine tar soap is an old fashioned remedy for skin problems. I've never made it and am trying to learn more about it now. The sources I've found say the pine tar should not exceed 25% of the total ingredients in the soap.

Barbara