[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Having problems

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Having problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:35 pm 

Hi everyone,

Im been making Cp soaps for nearly a year and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! However i have started to have a few problems :(

I don't know if it has anything to do with the weather warming up (Im in Australia) but i am getting a layer of unsaponified oils on my soap/ I am not doing anything different nor have i changed any of my products or suppliers. I am still covering my logs with kitchen paper then drape a blanket over the whole mold to help insulate.

My last few batches of soaps are coming out very oily with a 'wet' feel to them.

Any tips and hints would be so appreciative

Post subject: Re: Having problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:50 pm 

At what temp do you soap at? Are you reaching a true trace? Do you use a stick blender? Are you doing CPHP, CP with gel or hot process?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:20 pm 

Hi Irena,
Im using a stick blender until trace then pouring into my molds.
Im CP with gel and after so many months of having no problems, am having all these logs turn out yuk and im scared to soap now.

I don't go by temp. I never have.

Flick

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:27 pm 

Hmmmmm...is it possible that one of your oils is adulterated? If not, your soap could be overheating. Do you have room in the fridge to try for your next batch?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:27 pm 

No oils are all brand new.
i think, personally, that i am over heating my soaps. So i will attempt some more without wrapping in a blanket.

hopefully that will work better for me!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:06 am 

Blanket is pretty heavy and insulating. Try a light towel and keep an eye on it. As soon as it's in full gel, take the cover off and let the soap cool off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:42 am 

Hope things start coming together again for you. You and Soapbuddy covered it all. Heat could effect it too, I live in Florida and have trouble when it is really hot with some recipes too. Good luck!