[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - butters?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: butters?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:44 pm 

So for my son who has severe skin issues I just use raw shea butter but was wondering if I whipped shea and cocoa butter with bit honey would the mix be okay as far as shelf life of the oils or do you really need a preservative when just whipping butters and would the honey make him sticky/ or attract ants etc or would it act like skin protectant. Would 50/50 of the butters and 1/4 tsp of honey for 4 oz be ok? Sweet almond isnt bad on his skin either could I add that to mix to give it tad more liquid maybe like 1/2 tsp per 4 oz? I dont want to use any preservatives or emulsifiers.

On another note just for curiosity: I read that vinegar was a natural preservative for lotions, is this true? If so, what would the shelf life of it be and how much would add per 4 oz.

Also if you use aloe whether in soap or in lotion can ypu just get the filling from the plant itself and mix it recipe or do you need extrat or oil? If you use it raw in lotion would you need preservative if not what shelf life?

Do you know of a "natural" i.e not chemically made emulsifier?

It is great to get the know how from you veterens. I really love this hobby, its so much fun and great to see the final product. I just got the BB dragon mold and love it=) Of course I have a wish list a mile long but love it when I splurge for these goodies. =)

Post subject: Re: butters?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:59 pm 

Honey is water based, butter is not. Over time the honey would seep out. Just as long as you use only oils or butters, you should be fine without a preservative. If tolerable, you could add a small amount of Vit. E. Vinegar is NOT a preservative and neither is grapefruit seed extract. Any lotion with water you have to have a preservative. There is nothing available at this time for us small time crafters. In the olden days beeswax and borax used to be used as an emulsifier, but over time that lotion will separate and you would still need a preservative.

Post subject: Re: butters?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:44 pm 

what she said!

Tammy