[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - "Manly" Essential Oil Recommendations

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 am 

Hi all!!

I'm new to teach soap so please help me out people!

I was just about to order a bunch of different essential oils to experiment with different scents but I figured before I went out and made a purchase I should inquire with what everyone recommends.

I am making a soap for men and looking for "manly" essential oil scents.... recommendations for essential oils/ soap recipes??

Thanks! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:01 am 

Woody essential oils like cedarwood, sandalwood, patcouli, vetiver are consider manly. Tea tree, rosemary, lemongrass, any mint and clary sage are also manly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:54 am 

Hi,
This is my first post after lots of lurking :D

I had to figure this one out myself not too long ago. Out of my 6 kiddos, 4 are boys, very picky boys (just like their Daddy)

They like a good variety of quite a few EOs I've found.
Here's a list of what my guys (costumers too) like to use over the past couple years:
patchouli, sandalwood, cedar wood, cypress, eucalyptus, basil, clary sage, anise (this one I use in my "hunter's soap" it will cover up just about any smell), some of the pine oils, and tea tree. Parsley is a huge oil used in a ton of men's fragrances (I have a hard time finding this locally though)

I also blend these with most of the citrus, and mint EO's. (I most always hide a little lavender in there too :lol: they'd never guess it, but they love it)

I would like to point out to you though, to do your research on the properties of these EOs before jumping in and using them. I use them in a wide variety of products, and I know how everyone in my family can handle them. Some of them have wonderful healing, and cleansing properties, while others have amazing aromatheapy qualities. You should know the info before you start to use them though. I've done tons of reading, and testing for my own products, and a some of these oils are strictly used in house, and not in my line for obvious reasons. My best advise would be to have fun with the oils and scents a few at a time till you're familiar with them (this goes for your pocket book too ; )

I know there's a lot here, but that's what I've found over the past couple years. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm 

Thanks that was alot of very useful information... I am currently going to go do my homework on each of the EO recommended and then start experimenting!

I love the fact that you have to hide the Lavender... its one of those things guys love until you tell them what it is! :lol:

I will re-post what I purchased and let you know what combinations I came up with!

Thanks...so helpful! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:53 am 

Well, being a man myself, and having sampled a LOT of essential oils over the past few years, and in the past few months in particular (in preparation for making some soaps myself), I can tell you some of those that I really like, or really don't like. From my discussions with soapmaking friends, I gather that my likes & dislikes are pretty typical for men, so I hope this helps you.

Like:

Sandalwood
Cedarwood (any variety, but slightly prefer Virginia or Texas over Atlas)
ANY conifer oil (black spruce (especially), Eastern hemlock, Canada Balsam, Fir, etc. --- some of the pine needle oils can smell a bit "turpentiney", though)
Mints
Lemongrass
Frankincense
Spices (particularly coriander seed --- LOVE that one! --- and black pepper blended with others)
Bay Laurel
Rosemary (OK, but not as nice as the fresh herb)
Patchouli (very nice in low dilution --- but if too strong, it is VERY funky)
Vetiver (same as for Patchouli)
Citrus (orange, mandarin, grapefruit, lemon, lime)
Ylang ylang
Jasmine

Do NOT Like:

Most florals, particular strong rose (but note the two florals above) --- lavender I can tolerate OK

Anything "green" like Violet Leaf (nasty!), or in particular Petitgrain (absolutely CANNOT stand this one --- like a spike going through my brain!)

Bergamot --- although I like all the other citruses, I find this one repulsive and bizarre, even in very low dilutions (as for Petitgrain)

Cypress --- tried two different samples, found both of them unpleasantly sharp, and too similar to turpentine

Galbanum --- I could not find, and cannot imagine, any appealing aromatic use for this foul, sulfurous, highly unpleasant oil!

Anything that smells "powdery", like baby powder --- it seems a LOT of hygiene or perfumery products geared to the ladies are reminiscent of this smell, but I am not sure just what gives them this kind of aroma. It is very off-putting to me.

I hope this helps you!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:50 pm 

Ylang ylang and jasmine?! I would never have guessed that! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 pm 

soapysmith ight you share where you purchase the coriander that you like? It is one of my favorites in a bland and has been discontinued by SC's. TIA

~bytheSEAsoap~ Mella bythesea, bythesea, bythebeautiful sea

海の皂

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:07 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:14 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:13 am 

Thank you for the information. When I have the opportunity to work with it I'll up date the source and my results.

I will return home on the 29 or so and should have a pound of coriander waiting for me so I'll have something to share!

~bytheSEAsoap~ Mella bythesea, bythesea, bythebeautiful sea

海の皂

Last edited by mella on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:08 am 

Hi, I hope you already have what you wanted to do, with all those real good ideas. I'm just did something, & ended up being so happy about it. I 'tried' to make myself some perfume. When I ordered everything, of course, I left out the main ingredient, & since I already had some reed diffuser oil, I used it as my base, & then added just a bit of that Angelica, from Natures Garden. I had some on my fingertips still this morning, & my husband really liked the smell! He thought it was some kind of light musky cologne I had made for him. Well, it sure is now! :lol: I just told him that it was from a cologne very 'original', Men's Musky!!!!!!!! Back to the drawing board for me, but thought I'd tell you this one, it just happened, maybe your guys might like that too? Good luck with all this fun experimenting!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:23 am 

Citrus can also work really well for manly products. Classic eau de cologne uses bergamot, neroli, petitgrain and vertivert. I have a recpie where I combine those with lime and some lovely calming frankincense. Then men I've tried it on seemed to like it!

I also find vertivert great for making things more masculine. I was making a lavender soap, but wanted to make it suitable for men or women to use (or anyone who want's a good night's sleep really!), so added frankincense and vertivert.

A lot more men's scents these days have florals in... but you do have to be careful. I've seen a few with jasmine in (Davidoff's Cool Water for Men has lavender, jasmine, oakmoss, musk and sandalwood), usually combined with the woody scents. Hyacinth is also a really nice 'fresh floral' scent, used in a lot of men's products, which isn't too girly.

Estee Lauder Beyond Paradise for Men is really really floral... Eden's Mist, Blue Hyacinth, Orange Flower Templar, Jabuticaba Fruit, Laelia Orchid, Crepe Jasmine, Mahonia Japonica, Pink Honeysuckle, Natal Plum Blossoms, Ambrette Seed, Zebrano Wood, Golden Melaleuca Bark.

Calvin Klein's Escape for Men is more balanced but still kind of fresh feeling: top notes of chamomile, apple, lychee, ylang-ylang, tagette, coriander, hyacinth, black currant, and mandarin. Mid notes of jasmine, rose, osmanthus, plum, peach, muguet (what on earth is muget when it's at home??!), clove and carnation. Base notes of musk, sandalwood, tonka bean and vetiver for a spicy, woody, sensuous backdrop.

Ralph Lauren Rocks is really fruity with Kiwi, Passion Fruit, Sandalwood, Freesia, Hyacinth, Amber, Palm Leaves, Orange Blossom, Woody Notes, Washed Fruits. He uses fresh florals there alongside the fruity scents and with Sandalwood and Amber for the base notes.

Also think about what you want the scent to do. A lot of the woody scents are great for being anti-depressant and anti-anxiety, so perfect for men with stressful jobs or lots on the go. The one I described with petitgrain, bergamot, neroli, vertivert and frankincense was designed to help the kind of man who thinks too much with always a million thoughts whirring, and might need to have some moments of calm. Some men might prefer something that smells kind of outdoorsy, so you might use things like pine, cypress and cedarwood and maybe team those with some fresh florals and a bit of neroli for it's mood boosting properties.

Hope that helps! Sorry if I've whittled on! I love this stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 pm 

I am new to soaping, but found the most wonderful fragrance oil - oakmoss sandalwood - it smells very nice - not overpowering - very manly - my son and a friend's husband both made comment how much they liked it. I think it is very similar to Paul Sabastian. just my opinion though.