[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Unsaturated fats vs saturated fats

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 pm 

Hellloooooo!

What is the idea balance of unsaturated vs saturated fats (on soap calc) so that soap does not set up or trace to fast? In addition to my other "issues", I am noticing my soap with 40% olive oil (and 55% soft oils) traces in like 2 minutes and is pudding in 3.

Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:19 am 
I think other contributing factor is your temp and water to lye ratio also. My standard recipe traces in about 25 minutes when mixing with a wire whisk. If I use the stick blender and just "pulse" a few times it goes to a med trace much faster. Depending on the EO or FO, I've ended up with "soap on a stick" a few times because of the rapid trace. I've noted that this same recipe with trace much faster if I soap at 115 degrees instead of 85 degrees. I know recipes with a lot of soft oils take forever to trace.....but then so does olive oil. I try to stay away from too many softies in the same recipe because of the humid climate of my area makes DOS a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:41 am 

Thanks. I always soap between 100-110 (100 when I am dealing with a funky FO) so I feel like that is low enough. I may have a slight addiction to my stick blender as I am in a full trace so fast. I just it for about 5 seconds when I pour in the lye, stir for another minute, another 5 with the SB, stir for another minute and then I am there. ... ...at pudding.

Even when I don't use the SB, I am in trace in 15 minutes or less and really can't go thur pouring an entire funnel soap without gloppy pudding at about 2/3 into my pour.

Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 am 

My batches trace at less than 5 minutes with the SB on and off then hand stirring in between. I soap at around 110 degrees.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:12 pm 

Like Soapbuddy, mine are around 5 minutes, maybe a little more. My favorite recipies give me a little more time, but I have a couple with the "right" FO they trace w/a spoon within minutes, no SB required...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:41 am 

What does the sat:unsat ratio even mean? I noticed most of my recipes are at a 45:55 ratio. Can someone clue me in? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 am 

I would also like an explanation of sat vs unsaturated fats as I think that is a contributing factor (in addition to temp and sb use) for a fast trace. I just wish I had like 8 minutes vs. 4 or 5!