[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Whipped melt and pour

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Whipped melt and pour
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:52 pm 

Does anyone have tips on how to do this? A long time ago someone gave me a link or directions on how to whip M&P and I can't find it anywhere. I know I need to add oil but thought there was some other ingredient to add. For now I'm just winging it. I'm trying to get it mousse like almost like whipped cream.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:40 am 

Hi, Soapchick ... I've tried loads of different ways to do this ...

1 Grated M&P opaque and whipped it without melting it (the heat of the beaters melted it for me!). Result took so long to dry that I nearly lost the will to live;

2 Next I melted opaque M&P in the microwave then whipped it ... OK, but cooled down too fast and went claggy;

3 Melted opaque M&P (microwave) and added some hot water (about 4 or 5 tablespoons to about 150grams of soap). Result was the same as 2;

4 Melted M&P over a saucepan of very hot water, added a few tabelspoons of hot water and about half a teaspoon of glycerine to the melted stuff and whipped it without taking it off the heat. Result was OK, to begin with, but it shrank dreadfully and went sort of 'rubbery';

5 Hallelujah!! Melted M&P over the saucepan of v hot water. Once it was melted, chucked a bit of cold water into the saucepan (not the soap!!) to cool the water down a bit, then whipped the soap until it looked like cream, without adding any water. (Add FO before you melt it). Have your piping bag ready to fill, and work fast!

Nice thing about this method (5) is that if it sets in the piping bag or nozzle, just throw it back in the bowl and whip it again until it behaves. You might need to add a tiny bit of water to free it up if you're 'rewhipping'. This is the only method I use now; it behaves beautifully and dries incredibly quickly to a lovely firm surface. I've made a Christmas cake soap with a deep layer of this whipped soap on top, and it cuts perfectly. It's firm enough to be able to wrap the slices in cling film without the topping smearing, as well. File comment: Slice of cake in cling fim!
Christmas Cake 4.jpg
Christmas Cake 4.jpg [ 17.44 KiB | Viewed 28259 times ]

Hope this helps! I have to admit I've never tried adding oil, but reckon that now I've found a simple solution I'll stick to it. For the cake in the picture I just smeared the whipped topping all over it, and spread it with a knife dipped in hot water ... keeping the whipped mixture hot seems to be the secret.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:41 pm 

CaptainBubbles,

A huge thank you, I'm so happy I could scream (and it's been a long stressful week at work). So did you use a double boiler to do this so the M&P was in the top pot and the very hot water was in the bottom pot? I cannot wait to try this out and am sure it will take some practice to get it right. Your soap looks great. :D Your number one technique cracked me up about losing the will to live. :lol:

Where do you live in England, I've been to London and loved Picadilly Circus. The Wren Cafe was my favourite (who knows where it was and this was years ago so not sure if it's still there). Wish I'd had more time there.

Just found this old link of The Wren Cafe: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 21296.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:12 am 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:09 pm 

I've recently been looking into this method as well. I realize that this is an older post, but for anyone else interested, I found the instructional link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6133709_make-whipped-soap.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 pm 

I just wanted to pop in and suggest trying this soap frosting recipe: http://soap-queen.blogspot.com/2010/08/ ... ing-3.html

It's very simple and versatile, as you'll see!

I'm not sure if you are looking for a soap that will stay in a frosting consistency or a hardened soap with a light frosting look. This project is for the look of frosting.

- [i]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:19 am 

jkmcreative http://www.ehow.com/how_6133709_make-whipped-soap.html

This looks really interesting,I wonder if somthing like ground oat meal would stay suspended in a whipped soap better than trying to get it to suspend in cooled off M&P. Does a whipped bar of soap last as long as regular M&P bar? Thanks for the link.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:28 am 

That is definitely interesting. I'm not sure why they claim that whipped soap makes your skin feel soft and smooth - honestly, whipping just makes your soap dissolve faster! So I don't know why one would want to whip soap and then make it into a regular bar of soap. :?: Anywho...

Let me know what you end up trying and how it comes out! :)

- [i]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:04 pm 

Is it ever possible to attain the consistency of thick and fluffy whipped cream (that doesn't harden) with the "normal" melt and pour bases (that is, if we don't use foaming bath butter)?

Would adding an increased amount of solid butters (like shea butter) + oils prevent them from hardening?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:08 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:11 pm 

Meaning, whipped soap from scratch with the 6-8 wks curing period? I'm not too sure if I'm ready for that yet... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:16 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:20 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:43 pm 

Curiously though, how would the ingredients list ffrom "made-from-scratch" whipped one look like?

In your opinion then, is there a marked difference in texture/scent-staying power between those made with the CP method and those from the premade bases? Do you have a preference? Seriously considering my own 6-8 wk trial but I'm just so impatient! :P