[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Craft Show People

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Craft Show People
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:37 pm 

So I went to a craft show. This older woman stopped by my booth and she said that I had great items and wonderful scents. I told her thank you. She then proceeded to tell me that she runs a business and makes pies for her customers for Christmas. She then proceeded to say she wanted to learn how to make something that was handcrafted to give her customers. I asked her well you can make all sorts of things. She said no I want to make lye soap, and then proceeded to tell me that I should teach her. I told her it's not that easy and it can be dangerous. I then gave her soapqueen.com as a source because she knows more than I do. She thank me and walked on. Having been to a few craft shows, I've never had anyone ask me to show them how to make cold process soap.

So much fun. I'm no expert, but I didn't just sell my first 20 batches or the first 39. But I've never gone to a crafter and asked, "Show me how to do this."

Has this ever happened to you?

Post subject: Re: Craft Show People
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:13 pm 

On a regular basis. I tell them it will cost $10,000 for each year I've been in business. They do the math and walk away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:19 pm 

I never thought to tell them that. It would be interesting to see their face if I said that. Not to be mean just the shock value.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:51 am 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:04 am 

I would have asked her if she just gives her trade secrets away. I've had similar things happen several times at shows. My reply differs depending on the situation. But in what you described, I might have explained the time involved in the cure and in getting some batches under her belt and the liability if her soap gifts harm someone. Usually the liability part makes them stop and think. Then I would have offered her a custom order form along with my typical prices. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:52 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:10 am 

I have several various answers to questions like that. Them: "Where do you get your supplies?" Me: "I get my ingredients from various suppliers." If they persist asking about a specific formula I say something like "Under a full moon in an iron pot..." and I make up a fairy tale.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:50 am 

I stay positive with customers. So my reply would be something along the the lines of, "Thank you so much! I'm really flattered that you like my products so much and that I've inspired you to make your own! Here's my card--drop me an email, and I'll send you a list of the web sites and such that can get you going. Unfortunately, I'm not set up to teach people in my workshop, but there are excellent videos on the Internet that are just as good as being there."

Like us: http://www.facebook.com/AvitalsApiaries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:48 am 

I've had a few exchanges with people digging for information. I give it to them most of the time, because #1 most things are a lot easier said then done. #2 I wish I would have asked some of those very questions before getting started. #3 when your original, your original. I don't feel threatened by a potential competitor, because if/when they get started in the business and are able to raise the bar to a higher standard and produce a good product, it only makes me bring my game up.

But that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:05 pm 

I only do soap as a hobby - I don't sell. But I have seen posts like this on this board numerous times. I don't think you can sell to the hard core DIY type - they want to do it themselves. If it were me, since this is bound to happen, I would make up a one page handout of the best soaping tutorials, YouTube channels, etc...then hand that out to those "teach me how to do it types". Don't display this info, just pull it out for those people.

My concern would be eating up time talking to someone you'll never sell to. Give them the info and be done with them as quick as possible so you don't leave a potential non-DIY type waiting/hanging. Maybe...just MAYBE you'll guilt them into buying a bar since you were so nice to point them in the right direction with such good info.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:53 am 

Just politely say that you get info regarding soapmaking in the internet, that goes the same with suppliers and etc. If they insist, then make sure you have a creative mind, if you know what I mean. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:48 pm 

This happens to me all the time! I have people wanting to know where I buy my wrapping paper, what my exact recipe is!
Then they proceed to say " oh this soap has'nt gelled properly!" ( when in fact the castile soap is fading from bright extra virgin olive oil green). They say they have read a book, but not made soap. i have had people wanting me to teach soapmaking, but I never say yes. I don't want to give away my secrets. :wink:
After about a minute you know what they're up to.....I just stop talking to them and just listen to them go on and on.

I make natural soap!.........simple old fashioned soap......no glitz or glamour.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 pm 

This topic is interesting to me because I'm the one who kept asking how to make soap---always buying a few bars as well! I really wanted to learn to make my own soap because of my extremely sensitive skin. I never intended to sell soap. It took me a few years of questions to track down Brambleberry. I didn't intend to be rude or steal secrets. I'm really glad to discover the point of view of all those hard working souls I kept begging information from. I actually keep buying from the two people who helped me learn soap making, because they deserve my business and they are better at it than I am. Hopefully this post will help you be patient with others like me who just didn't understand the etiquette. As for the obnoxious non-buying public, direct them to their local library!
Jane