[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Cold Water FO

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cold Water FO
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:49 am 

Does anyone have any luck using Cold Water fragrance oil? I've tried 4 batches and can't get it to work.
I use 33% coc, palm, canola oil. 3-6 tbl of fragrance. blue lab colors and a tiny bit of tit. dioxide.
And still....weird layers start forming or edges crumble. I soap around 100. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Cold Water FO
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:07 pm 

Where is the fragrance from?
I have no problems with mine.
You need to weigh your fragrance. Tablespoons are not accurate. Depending on the weight density of a fragrance, 1 tablespoon is roughly a 1/2 oz.
Did the soap gel?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:37 pm 

Soapbuddy, thanks for the reply! I got it from Brambleberry. I did not weigh...I used 4 tablespoons on one batch and 6 on another. My batch was 16 oz. each of coconut, palm and canola. Aha - that may be my problem eh? ( I used Brambleberry fragrance calculator). Sometimes the soap gelled, sometimes it didn't.

I will weigh fragrance next time and I might be using too much fragrance oil?

Thank you!! I love this fragrance so much and want to use it in my line of soaps!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:12 pm 

For a 48 oz. batch, I would use 2.1 ozs. of fragrance. I would not go higher. It's pretty strong. Be careful with canola. In higher amounts, it can give you DOS (dreaded orange spots from rancidized oils). Canola oil has a short shelf life. How does your soap gel? Do you just insulate it or put it in a low oven?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:31 am 

Sometimes the soap gelled, sometimes not. I do insulate. I put the soap to bed like a baby...warmest spot in the house (next to the fridge)...covered with quilts. And then the hardest part - not peeking. Thanks for your help, I realize I've probably been putting in too much cold water fragrance and was NOT following brambleberry fragrance oil calculator.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:20 am 

You're welcome. I know that BrambleBerry's fragrance calculator includes tablespoons but it's really better to go by weight, or at least ML's.