[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Smelly soap dillemma

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Smelly soap dillemma
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:14 pm 

Thank you Sweet! Good to be here!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:03 am 

Welcome Lovegreyhounds! As for weird notes coming out, it unfortunately isn't all that strange. It can take a full cure for it to reach that nice scent you thought you soaped! Happy soaping!

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:18 am 

Thank you! Very true but I love it! I love the mystery of it all...I've got too much of the "mad scientist" in me I guess... :D

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:59 am 

Hi there - I've been away from soap making for 3 years and in April started making my first batches again. Doing the "mad scientist" soap recipe comparison thing, so nice to hear that I'm not alone in that. I've had some, er, interesting results w/ scents - but just cracked up this week when I made my first ever beer soap and decided to add BB's Sensuous Sandalwood and a little bit of Pineapple Cilantro - thought it might tone down the sandalwood a bit. I used to make a lot of pure goat milk soap, so am familiar w/ how icky soap can smell shortly after unmolding but then turn into awesome soap later on...well, I'm REALLY hoping that is the case because even though the texture of this soap (75% olive oil/20% coconut oil/5% shea butter, put in freezer for 6 hours after pouring) is creamy and beautiful...it smells EXACTLY like Comet Cleanser! It is only 6 days old, so I am sure it will cure fine...but just had to share :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:33 am 

This is the "Comet Cleanser" knock-off just out of the freezer, actually unmolded way too soon, that is why it has that "wet" look!

It was made w/ a Port Angeles, Washington porter that I both boiled and left in the fridge for 3 days - it was a beast in the bottle!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:47 am 

SolDucSoap, so is your soap just a kitchen cleanser, or is it more like regular soap? I don't know what you mean by "Comet cleanser".

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:03 pm 

LOL - I was referring to the way it smells right now - it is only 6 days old, has beer in it and an odd fragrance combo. The soap itself looks really nice, has a neat color...and will probably eventually smell fine when it is fully cured. For now though - Comet Cleanser! :-)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:38 pm 

Solducsoap, I really hope the fragrance combo works out- you used such a beautiful mold!
Keep us updated :)

Blog:
IG: Sweetasjam_IG
Etsy: SweetAsJam

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:32 am 

Thank you, SweetasJam! Have you used this mold for soap that you sell? I think it would be nice to combo-pack 3 different soaps, one w/ each design. I LOVE the little Celtic 9-bar guest mold - it makes a perfect sample size for me! I usually make enough to also pour 4 cavities of the Radiant Heart mold - nice to compare the look of slab vs. molded bars.

I cut the bars last night and though still a bit soft, it looks great! This recipe makes a soap that takes quite a while to harden and there was soap left on my cutter (only have a scraper-type cutter so far) - was just flat-out AMAZED when I went to wash it off - huge WHITE lather and bubbles!!! I thought the recipe with coconut milk made really nice lather - but this was really over the top! Interesting to see that this soap lightens as it cures - the inside was quite dark compared to the outside color - usually I see the opposite happen as soap cures.

The smell has changed in the last couple of days to a much more pronounced sandalwood - and now I know that I despise that scent! LOL! Will be trying to find people who like it to give soap to - I only put 1 oz. of Sensuous Sandalwood and less than 1/2 oz. of Pineapple Cilantro in 38 oz. of soap ("light" scent on calculator) and the sandalwood scent sticks on my skin after rinsing! Might have to banish this soap to the barn for the rest of its cure! :o

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:28 pm 

Hi SolDucSoap! Your soap looks beautifu!, I had to put my smelly soap up for 2 weeks but then the scent was heavenly. Also, I have had to wait a week to cut goatsmilk soap because it was so soft but it does have great bubbly lather after it's cured.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:07 pm 

SolDucSoap, I don't sell my soap but I would love to have that mold one day. That's a great idea for a gift pack with the 3 different designs. I've never smelled Sandalwood before but I'll take your word on it lol there's a few floral scents that I feel the same way about. At least now you know the recipe is turning out great results :)

Blog:
IG: Sweetasjam_IG
Etsy: SweetAsJam

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:06 pm 

Thank you, LoveGreyhounds! And I agree - need to put these puppies aside for a couple of weeks and stop sniffing at them every day! However, I made Pineapple Cilantro last week and that is just wonderful to scent the house! I have not been able to find fresh goat milk locally, but sure am impressed with both the coconut milk and beer as I had never tried them before. Miss my goats!

SweetasJam, I tried to take a picture for you of that mold in 3 different soaps already cut - but the batteries gave out, will have to wait. I weighed them out just to see and they are right at 2 1/2 oz. - and the Radiant Hearts are the same, they were poured 16 days ago. I just love both those molds! And BTW, have had the Celtic mold now for several years, it is the lighter clear-type mold, not heavy duty, but it has held up really well for me using cold process.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 pm 

Hey Sol Duc - I grew up on a farm outside Port Angeles before I moved to Seattle for high school/college. :D I need to plan a visit/hike to the Hoh Rainforest this summer! You live in some gorgeous area here in Washington, that's for sure.