[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - new here and have many questions

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:29 am 

i made my first candles , i actually found a waxed candle rabbit it was huge took it home melted it in crock pot, worked perfect , didnt use entire rabbit still pleanty left, went to the thrift store, i am thrift store crazy lol, got two light house cups for sister one big doggie cup and a golf cup for old man lol . wednesday we went to ac moores and ipurchased wicks and color and almond eo. they smell great, but problem is that when they setteled they kindof sunk in around wichk leaving a little mound around wick, i fixed this by micro and lined up wick again . my question is how can i prevent this next time what did i do wrong? new and excited. :?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:54 am 

What type of a wax did you use?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:10 am 

Sounds like you are using a pillar wax (rabbit) to make container candles, which really won't work, especially since you have no idea what kind of pillar wax the rabbit was made from. Container wax also burns at a lower temperature than pillar wax, so wicking would be different. The wax 'sunk' more than likely because it is a paraffin wax, which is it's nature. Holes are usually poked to open up any voids (air bubbles) in the wax and a second pour is done.

What kind of wicks did you buy? You need to be careful that the wick doesn't burn too hot, as it will smoke and could shatter the container. I seriously would not burn any of the mugs you poured, as you could have major, major problems.

Do a lot of reading about candle making, there are plenty of sites on the internet and Google is your friend!! Find a reputable supplier near you and purchase a quality candle kit.