[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Newbie Question

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbie Question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:54 am 

Can some candle bases "accept" more scent? At 12% by weight seems like my candles don't have much scent. I am using C-3 soy. I don't know if my issue is the wax or the scent.

Post subject: Re: Newbie Question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:39 am 

Soy is a difficult wax to accept scent. Are you letting it cure for at least a couple of days? What % of FO does the vendor recommend? If you use too much fragrance, it can seep out, causing a fire hazard. It can also depend on which wick you use.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:32 pm 

The vender, BB, recomends about 1 oz per pound of wax. Another vender says 6% to no more than 12% by weight. My wicks are WU-250. Both wicks and wax were recommended by Anne-Marie in one of her videos. All I am trying to make are some good smelling 4oz travel tins for gifts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:32 pm 

Yes. I am letting them cure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:44 pm 

Which scent are you using?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:52 pm 

I have only used red Apple from Brambleberry and High Maintenance fro Taylored Concepts. What I really want to make are Relaxing from Brambleberry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:12 pm 

How wide is your container? I would get a sampler pack of wicks like Eco, CD, LX, HTP, Performa,
RRD or even Hemp. Depending on the fragrance you might need to wick up a size. Not all fragrances work in soy. That's why it's important to always test a wick with testing each fragrance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:10 pm 

My container is only 2.75 inches across. I will try the sampler pack. So even the wick type makes a difference in the fragrance? It seems like candle making is much more complicated than soap making.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:04 am 

I just don't like the answers I am getting about candlemaking. Someplace ther must be a database or a grid that helps you select a wax, wick, container and fragrance that are compatable so you get a candle with a good throw. Candlemaking supply companies could enhance their sales if the cost of doing the research wasn't so high for a hobby candlemaker. When I make soap I can look at information that lets me select ingredients for my soap that will give me the charastrics I want.
But on the other hand, sometimes I think that just because I think something it should be.
I think I will make a 3 LB batch of nice warm brown shea butter soap. My Relaxing fragrance will give me the color and a wonderful smell. I think I will swirl it with a nice white with titanium dioxide and no fragrance so it is nice an white. I know this will smell good and be nice looking.
Thanks for all your help.
Peggy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:59 am 

You're welcome. Some candle sites give suggestions on what wick to use with which containers, but after that you have to test everything yourself. There are just too many variables.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:39 am 

After all my whining, and a day of searching the internet, I found a company that seperates some of their wicks and scents out for those appropriate for soy candles. Plus, they are just over the hill from me on North Hollywood. They are General Wax. I know there will still be some experimenting but at least they have narrowed the field. Oh. They also teach a beginning candlemaking class every month for $20.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:38 pm 

They have candle making 101............beginning. It is the second Saturday of each month. I plan to go in February. I goofed in my last posting. It is not a 20% discount. The class is $20 and they offer A discount the day you attend class.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:39 pm 

oops. I guess I didn't mention the discount after all.