[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Fragrance and Soy wax

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fragrance and Soy wax
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:27 pm 

I'm having a time trying to get my Soy Candles to smell. I've used various Soy waxes and scents from various vendors. I've tried adding the fragrance at high temps and lower temps.

I don't know what else to do. My candles smell great; but when lit I smell nothing.

Any advice on what wax to use with fragrance, pour temps and adding fragrance temps?

PLEASE HELP!!! :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 pm 

Soy wax is notorious for eating fragrance. How much are you using? What are the vendor's recommendations?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:56 pm 

I've used one pound of wax with 1oz of fragrance. I've also used 1.5oz to one pound of wax.

Should I use a soy blend wax, would this help? If so what wax would you reccomend?

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:28 pm 

1 oz (by weight) fragrance oil to 1 pound (16 oz also by weight) is the most common rule of thumb for fragrance oils in soy wax. The wax, when brought to the proper temperature, will hold 10% fragrance load, but you will run into more wicking issues if you go over 7%.

1 oz fragrance oil in a pound of wax is; 1 (oil oz) divided by 16 (wax lb) = .0625 or 6.25% fragrance load.
For a 7% fragrance load; multiple 16 oz (wax lb) x 7%, you'll need to use 1.12 oz of fragrance.

It also depends where you purchased your soy wax as not all are the same. Ditto for fragrance oils. Some just do not work in soy. What types of wicks are you using and what type of containers? Where did you purchase the wax and the fragrances?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:16 am 

I've purchased Eco Soya 135 and fragrance from the following places:

- Lonestar - found out after purchase their fragrances are not soy based
- Wellington - has soy based fragrances but not holding up when candle is lit
- Moonglow - has soy based fragrances but not holding up when candle is lit

Using a 13.25oz Tumbler and ECO-10 6" Wicks

Just purchased fragrance from Candle Science along with a sample 5lb of GW464 Soy Blend.
Hopefully this combo works.

Would a soy blend do the trick in terms of mimicking the scent throw of a paraffin candle?

What other waxes besides soy would be good to use; that is natural but also smell great when lit?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:29 pm 

Paraffin burns completely different and it's easier to add a fragrance. Soy melts at a lower temp, so it throws fragrance differently. I find Wellington's fragrances very weak. How long do you let your candle cure before you do a test burn? I usually wait at least 3 days to a week before I test burn. You could also try palm wax, but you will need to test each fragrance and wick to get results. With some fragrances you need to wick up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:33 pm 

First off would like to thank you so much for you feedback.

I wait about 3-4 days to test burn my fragrance. I've also tried to add Steric Acid, hoping it would help.

Where would you suggest I purchase my fragrance?

I wanted the candle to be natural, would you suggest Beeswax scented candle instead?

Does beeswax throw scent like paraffin?

I'm hearing a lot of things about Palm wax; some good and some bad. Does Palm have a good scent throw or would I run into the same problems as I am with Soy?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 pm 

How well the candle perfoms depends on a lot of things. Wax type, wick size, fragrance load and type of container. There are no hard and fast rules. Some wicks work great in one fragrance and not in another. Try different wicks and see if that gives you a better scent throw.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:44 pm 

This is all great information. Thanks for the help. I have had trouble getting the fragrance to stick in soy also. How important is the temperature of the wax when the fragrance is added?

Also, if I do use a blend of soy and parafin, can I still label them as soy candles? Or do I say soy-parafin blend?

What does everyone think or how do you do it?

Thanks!

Soapart

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:55 pm 

If you add paraffin, then it becomes a soy/paraffin blend. Soy has a lower meltpoint that parrafin. So yes, temperature is important. Fragrances also have different flash points. If you use an FO with a lower flashpoint and add it to melted wax that takes more heat to melt, the FO will just flash off and you won't be able to smell it at all once the wax cools off.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:37 pm 

Thanks for that information. If I do use a soy/paraffin blend, can I label my candles as soy candles, or do I need to label them soy-paraffin blend?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:51 pm 

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:58 pm 

Thanks, Soapbuddy!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:10 pm