[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Concerning containers

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Concerning containers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:01 pm 

A friend of mine recently purchased hand-made candles from an Etsy shop, the owner has been making them for years and should have known how to properly select containers. But she didn't. She was cheap and purchased pretty glass jars from a craft store.

She is being sued for $1.5 million dollars for this mistake.

Cheap jars are generally NOT made for heat, and they EXPLODE when a candle inside burns low enough to expose the glass to the flame. My friend lost her right eye and suffered severe facial and upper body lacerations because the aforementioned lady wanted to save some money. The lady's business insurance will NOT cover her mistake.

Please please please use only containers that are meant for candles!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:16 pm 

A lady I know who sells candles at the markets says she puts her containers in the oven?

Would that be sufficient? and what temp and how long would you do it?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:20 pm 

OMG! Did she have liability insurance?
Usoapia, putting containers in the oven would make no difference if they are not made specifically for candles.
Anyone remember when the gel candles in champagne glasses was all the rage? I bought one and less then halfway through, the glass shattered. Obviously, champagne glass is not meant to take heat. I was lucky. I didn't get injured and nothing caught on fire. I had to clean up a dangerous mess.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:53 pm 

It seems to be very popular in the markets here, they are buying old sugar bowls, glass pourers, gravy jugs, tea cups and saucers
and turning them into candles.

I heard one lady tell a customer that before she could make the containers into candles, she had to test the containers in the oven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:57 pm 

Testing glass containers in the oven is not always indicative how well the glass will do when it's full of melted wax.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:50 pm 

Oh. That is sobering. I did not know certain glass containers couldn't stand heat from melted wax. How can you tell if a container is candle-safe or not??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:09 am 

The best way to be safe is to buy from vendors that carry candle supplies as they carry containers that are specifically made for candles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:56 am 

I put my glass containers in the oven too. It is done to reduce air pockets between the glass and wax, and that is the only thing it does IMHO.

The sellers' liability insurance will NOT cover her in this case as it was deemed "gross negligence" on her part and falls under a small print clause.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:09 pm 

Well I'm certainly not going to sleep tonight... :shock:

That is super scary and I would've freaked in both women's situations! I'd feel so bad if I made a product that caused even a paper cut to somebody! It sucks for her but she should be sued with that level of injury!

I hope your friend is okay! :cry:

But yeah I'm going to start experimenting with container candles but I'm only going to use the BrambleBerry tin ones until I can do good enough to make larger sized candles!

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:14 pm 

Sadly, there are quite a few sellers on etsy that use cute containers that are not suitable for candles.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:45 am 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:56 pm 

WOW! I am so sorry your friend has to go thru something like that!

Are good quality mason jars alright for candle making?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:04 pm 

Wow, that's terrible Hestey! I hope your friend will be okay and that her wedding is wonderful. I'll be extra careful from now on when buying candles.

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:06 am 

I am so shocked. I don't make candles but I do buy them at craft fairs. Never again will I risk it. I don't usually read the posts about candles but for some reason I did today. Thank you Hestey for posting this. It never occurred to me that there was a danger with these candles. Prayingfor your friends full recovery.

MaryLou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:50 am 

Heather, how awful for your friend! Sending prayers her way.