[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Hello & Thank You

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hello & Thank You
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:06 am 

Hi everyone!

My story is probably one you've all heard hundreds of times before and even likely the same as some of you alls.

Let me start by saying I've got a little artsy-crafty streak and every time I've ever boughten soap at a farmer's market or shop I'd think to myself, "this seems like something I'd like to try". Recently browsing through my local Craigslist I stumbled on an ad for goat's milk. Well, as you can imagine, that was the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back and brought this idea that had been bubbling in my subconscious roaring to a full boil.

I started doing research (isn't the internet wonderful!?!) and decided this is something I can probably handle. On you-tube one video linked to another and about the third or fourth one I viewed was by a lady who made it seem simple enough - it was her first time and she was enjoying herself and encouraging of others. She mentioned "Soap Queen" a couple of times and how helpful Anne-Marie's videos were. Sure enough one was on the list of related vids at the right of the page. Click.

Nice, simple, clearly articulated and easy to follow. When that one ended I clicked on a few more Soap Queen videos. Click. Click, click, clickety-click. All were the same friendly, positive lady with a "you can do this" kind of attitude. So I followed her verbal cues and came to Brambleberry dot com, looked around a bit and grew even more excited to try this. I also looked at a few other places. Soon ideas became recipes and then last weekend I did it. I poured my first batch.

Based on my nature-loving life-long casual study and use of plants and their medicinal and therapeutic uses combined with choosing certain oils for the properties they impart, I came up with my first recipe, used the bb lye calculator for amounts and went for it! I must say, I got a little worried when it took a long-ish while to trace but when it finally did, WOO-HOO!

I am only making smallish batches as they will be for Christmas presents for family and friends only. For a mold, I used 2 Noni biscotti trays and the size was perfect. I have enjoyed my first foray into soap making and feel a little bit empowered by the experience. Now I am working on my 2nd, 3rd, & 4th recipes. #1 is so far perfect in every way. So thank you, Anne-Marie, all the encouraging posters and videographers, and whomever came up with the lye calculator. You all enable me in the nicest possible way. :D

*note* Since I had no idea how much goats milk I needed, I purchased 2 gallons and the farmer threw in a third for good measure. Way more than I'll need for this project but who knows what the future will hold.

Oh, and *second note* I also picked up citric acid as the canning supplies were on end-of-season sale. Added the jumbo baking soda to my shopping cart at the grocery and now have added bath fizzies to my Christmas gift-giving list. You wonderful, naughty enablers.

Post subject: Re: Hello & Thank You
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:16 am 

Welcome!
I would put that milk in the freezer for later use.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:28 am 

Thank you for the welcome.

The milk came frozen. (thankfully deep-freezer, not the frost-free type that usually is attached to a refrigerator) I only partially thawed the first gallon, broke off what I needed, then returned the rest straight away to the freezer. The farmer told me he'd made his first batch over the summer using a gallon of milk. It turned out he needed to use a dresser drawer for a mold and it was still a rather deep pour for him. He said he's keeping his family and work place buds in soap for a long while. :lol: I suspect that experience is what spurred the impromptu "buy-two-get-one-free" sale.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:42 pm 

Hi ABCH! Welcome to the Forum!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:54 pm 

Welcome! And what enablers? *innocent* :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:30 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:40 pm 

Welcome to the forum and the obsession, ABCH! :D

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:09 pm 

Welcome! From what I read it seems you got bitten VERY hard by the B&B bug. I love THAT bug! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:50 pm 

ljm1180, Hesty, SudsyFun, & Asilo2 -

Thank you all for your kind words of welcome and encouragement! :)

And soapbuddy, my thanks to you earlier was not only for your welcome but also for the advice. You meant to be helpful and I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I hope my reply didn't come out all know-it-all like because I certainly DON'T. (but that's okay, I have you all :wink: )