[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Hello i'm a newbie

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hello i'm a newbie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:11 am 

Hi my name is Rick Maxwell i'm 30 and i'm a total newbie to soaping.I have not made soap yet but I guess you could say i'm in the research stage (because i'm broke at the moment lol).I was thinking of a business to start that could possibly get my family out of the in-laws house (by the way i'm a newly wed). So I figured how about making soap, bath-salts, scrubs etc? I'm in school for business so I might as well right?Any way hello everyone.

Post subject: Re: Hello i'm a newbie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:16 am 

Welcome!
It will take some time, money and lots of hard work before you will turn any profit. I'm glad you're doing your research first.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:41 am 

Hi, Rick, and welcome! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:20 pm 

Hi, Rick! Glad you're here - you'll find lots of great info. I started my soap business a year ago and am just now starting to break even. My goal for this next year is to pay back my household account for the business start up costs. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:17 pm 

Welcome Rick, it's good to see you here. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:09 pm 

Welcome Rick! I'm just in the process of starting up my business; registering the name and LLC, and looking into proper insurance. My investments thus far have been around $5,000 and that is just for ingredients, equipment and a small amount for my workshop (which isn't complete yet). I figure I'll break even in a couple years, and that is with 2 points of sale; one here in the US and one in Canada that my Mom will be taking care of. Mostly I want to sell because I really enjoy creating products but could never use everything I make!

Good luck in your pre-business learning phase! There are LOTS of folks here who love to help, especially when the person asking for help is good at research too! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:49 pm 

"I started my soap business a year ago and am just now starting to break even. My goal for this next year is to pay back my household account for the business start up costs". So it will take awhile to turn a profit?Why is that?Is it because the start-up process is slow?Or could it be because I never made soap before and I might have to make for awhile until I become good at it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:52 pm 

So seeing as how I have no money to start-up am I doing the right thing y immersing myself in this industry as far as research?One of my ideas was to make bath salts and scrubs to raise money for my soap supplies.Am I on the right track?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:12 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:26 am 

"You're on the right track by researching first. As soon as you start to sell you will need liability insurance, a business license, possibly a resale license and depending on your area, a home inspection. I posted a thread on soapmaking, but it can apply to any bath and body product". viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3800[/quote]

Wow I didn't realize that even if im only giving or selling to friends and family that I needed all of that. Thanks for the information.Now I can see why you ladies said I probably won't turn a profit right away. How long will it take and should make soaps for a while until im confident enough to sell?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:02 am 

Depending on the type of soap you plan to make, most people suggest 6 months minimum to perfect your recipe (with handmade, or cold process), learn by doing, etc.

Honestly this really isn't something that is going to pay the rent, at least until you have developed a niche and client base.

But it's still a fun hobby, welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:37 pm 

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:37 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:08 pm 

" Right now I'm able to pay for new supplies from the soap sales, but I've not been able to pay myself and don't expect to do that for some time. It's not an easy or inexpensive business".

But is it still fun for you?Is this something you like to do still?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:18 pm