[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Lye temperature help!!!

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lye temperature help!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:11 pm 

Hi you soap veterans out there,

I just made my first batch of soap following instructions and recipe from Melinda Coss' book. I followed everything to the T, including the mixing temperature, which is 130 F in her book. The soap came out brittle. I was sure I didn't use too much lye, since I check several online lye calculator before proceeding. After hours of troubleshooting, I found one lady on youtube who tried 140 F and the soap came out brittle.

The following day, I tried the same recipe again, this time I mixed at 100 F, the second try came out beautiful.

Now, my question. Can the first batch be used since the failure was caused by the temperature, not the excess lye? Or do I have to rebatch it :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:52 pm 

I normally soap at around 110 degrees. Does the first batch zap? If it's that brittle, I would try to rebatch it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:28 am 

That's such a good question about the temperature affecting the brittleness of the soap. Is it true? I've been paying so much attention to the correct measurements, and not the temperature. I try to make sure the lye/mix and oils are similar in temp., but some batches I mix hotter than others. And occasionally I will have a brittle batch. I took college chemistry (I won't say how long ago), and I still have more questions than answers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:40 am 

I would get yourself a thermometer til you get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:43 am 

Thanks, I use a thermometer, just tend to over-think. I'm reading Anne Watson's "Smart Soapmaking". She gives some good advice about just relaxing and having fun with the process, at the same time, staying safe. Aargh!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:09 am 

You can get some good hints, tips and recipes here> http://www.millersoap.com/#Soap Contents

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:38 pm 

You're right. Thanks for the tip!