[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Introducing Myself

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Introducing Myself
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 pm 

:D Hi everyone! I'd like to just say hi and introduce myself as a soaping newbie!

I've been researching and want to get into Cold Process soap making for about 2 years, however didn't have the incentive to finance the space, time and investment in this potential hobby. I'm super excited to be making the leap - which was actually spurred on by my two children.

Both of my children (boy, 9 years old, girl 7 years old) were diagnosed in 2011 with Celiac's Disease - which means a completely gluten-free diet and lifestyle. One thing we keep running into is the use of bath and body products and questionable gluten content. While some research points to the protein not being absorbed - anything that can go in the mouth (soap, shampoo, etc) has been something of a concern. My children and I sat down to figure out some solutions and they asked about making our own soap and "bath stuff". As we discussed the idea, and I mentioned we'd make more than we could use, their entrepreneurial spirits kicked in and we formulated a loose business plan that includes selling at local Farmer's Markets and creating a website to sell our wares.

Our basic plan is based on "all natural" ingredients - so no artificial colors and fragrance oils. I know that limits us in some ways, but after much discussion, we decided this would be one of our differentiators from some of the other soap makers out there. I think our first soap recipes will be experiments with 80% castille.

As pet owners (we live on an acreage) we also decided we're going to try and develop a pet line - shampoo bars, and products centered around Neem Oil, Tea tree oil, Charcoal as well as unscented.

As an internet entrepreneur myself (I'm an online business manager, specializing in operations and systems support for 6-figure coaches), I feel like this is a great way for me to get into this hobby while at the same time, teaching my children about running their own business. If we start making a decent revenue, then even better. I'm hoping my background in biochemistry (my major in college) will come in handy in this new venture.

I'm meeting with an acquaintance and buying out her entire soaping inventory and supplies on March 1. She was a soaper, stopped last year and has hundreds of dollars worth of scent and oils, butters, packaging in addition to the equipment she used, including molds. I thought this would be a great way to get started - since even if the oils are starting to get to the end of their shelf lives.. they'll be good enough fodder for our first experiments.

We haven't actually started batching soap yet! And we know it's going to be several months before we're ready to even think about selling. But that's where we are. Hoping to learn from all of you and become part of this community over the next weeks and months!

~Crystal

Post subject: Re: Introducing Myself
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:06 pm 

Sounds like you've got a really excellent resource with your soaper friend and background in chemistry and business! Sounds like you're being realistic about your plan, and I'm sure it'll be a great learning experience for your kids.

I highly recommend watching ALL The Soap Queen videos on YouTube about cold process soap making. Pay particular attention to her videos on safety!

A common sentiment around here is that you probably won't get rich making soap, but you'll certainly have fun trying! :) Best of luck to you! And welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:50 pm 

Hi Crystal! Welcome!
I completely agree with AriaGirl. I worked on my two base recipes for a year before starting to sell and then only at my local farmer's market and nearby shows. I'm now have a number of repeat customers and it's a great feeling to finally be breaking even. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:17 pm 

Welcome!
I'm glad to see that you are taking your time with research.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:34 pm 

What an exciting adventure for your entire family. It sounds like you have great support. I agree that the Soap Queen tutorials are very informative and gave me the confidence I needed to give soaping a try.

I wish you the best of luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:53 am 

Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'll have some questions when we actually get started.

For the record, the kids won't be involved in the actual soap making phase - not until they're older or I know it's safe to have them in the kitchen when I'm using lye.

In the very least, we'll have great gifts to start giving friends and family by Christmas next year, or that's the hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:03 am 

Oh, I figured as much. Your intro showed that you're a smart cookie, and I figured the kids would be helping out with the easier less dangerous tasks. :) My girls help out with packaging and such, and we often talk about where the soap is going - and if I'm feeling energetic we look it up on our map. lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 am 

Welcome! You'll find some amazingly knowledgeable soapers here, along with other newbies. Good luck on your venture!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:10 pm 

Welcome to the forum!

I learn so much when I can't leave well enough alone!