[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Uneven slices even with mitre box

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:50 am 

I use a mitre box with 1" and 2" slits with regular & wavy soap cutters. I try to be consistent, but sometimes there is just too much difference between bars. I want to be able to sell them by the bar, not oz, so I need to get more uniform bars. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:26 pm 

You're lucky you live in a state that doesn't require a "net weight" on the packaging! One less thing to worry about on the label.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:02 pm 

The best way I have found is not using that mitre mold, but using individual molds that divide it out, like silicone. Also, most states require you to label the net weight, I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:59 pm 

Thanks for the replies!
What I did was put (Net wt ______oz) on the labels so I could write the net wt in with a thin sharpie.
I am just looking for more uniform bars. I do have silicone rectangle molds, but I need to be able to do loaves.
How does everyone else weigh/label/cut their soaps? Do you make/edit a different label for each one (kind of like me) or just cut uniform bars and print one uniform label? The weight doesn't have to be EXACT, does it?
Thanks so much!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:26 pm 

The weight listed should be pretty close to what the soap weighs. Have you tried a cheese cutter?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:43 am 

I don't worry about it too much as I weigh and label each one with the exact weight. I do know that there are lots of high end cutters out there like the Tank. There are demos on you tube. So it may depend on the volume of soap you produce. The cost of them does not make it appropriate for me. I gave up the miter box (it was plastic) but I am looking for an old fashion wood one. I am watching the thrift stores and rummage sales. I do have a bread loaf slicer that works quite well but can't use my wavey slicer with it as the tines are too high.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:47 am 

If you are looking for a wooden one, here is where I got mine. It seems to work pretty well with M&P from what I have seen.

http://www.soap-making-resource.com/woo ... molds.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:23 am 

Thanks for the replies!
I think I am going to see if I can pick up a wire cheese cutter and see how I like that. :D