[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Amber resin and M&P?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Amber resin and M&P?
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 am 

I am playing around with using amber resin in clear M&P and was wondering if anyone else has been attempting or experimenting with this?

Using a heat lamp and stainless steel bowls, I melted about a half an ounce of resin added twice as much vegetable glycerin and mixed it repeatedly under heat ( I had the amber/glycerin up to about 121 deg. f.). It blended together well, although there is a grit to it that stays in no matter how fine you beak down the resin. I then heated a soap base more than I normally would (nearly 170 deg) and added the amber with a blend of other EOs for balance.

The Amber seems to be lending a wonderful quality to the fragrance, as long as you don't mind all the little grains of particles from the amber ( I tried both suspending them and letting them settle to the bottom).

So I was wondering if anyone else has tried anything like this? I am hoping that this fragrance will have some staying power, as it is dreamy.

I appreciate any input :D

Post subject: Re: Amber resin and M&P?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:16 am 

I smell so freaking good right now. Amber, black pepper, ylang ylang, and Vetiver.

The method above leaves some small grains of amber in the EO blend, they act like microscopic aroma crystals, you definitely get a stronger smell if you leave the amber 'grit' in with the oils.

Something I should have mentioned in my original post is that I mixed the amber into the soap base first, and then waited for the temp to get under 160 deg f. before adding any essential oils.

Now I want to incorporate this blend into a mother of pearl M&P idea I have been kicking around :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:40 am 

This is way above my level, but I find it interesting. Show us some pictures - Please!? Where are you getting the amber from?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:11 am 

I have used amber which is a resin many times. I make a special request amber and patchouli soap for a customer,it smells devine. I have never had a problem with the crystals remaining after being brought up to room temp and it seems they should have incorporated themselves back into the oil upon being heated. Is it something you have had for awhile? I would e-mail bramblemomma to find out about this Amber Resin is not cheap so every litttle bit should be able to break down. Just a word of advice 160 degrees seems still very hot for some eo's,research has lead me to believe that adding them at 120 or below ( as each eo has a diferent flashpoint) is the preferred temp. Just google the flashpoint of each of your oils you a re using to find out the recommended temp for ading to a project. RAINBOW MEADOWS is the best sight for all things EO. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:46 pm 

I've just read in a little book that came with a soap kit i was given that yes you can embed real amber resin into soap as a special gift. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:44 am 

Thanks for the input everyone! After doing some research I believe that the aforementioned 'grit' are benzoin crystals, and as the specific melting point of benzoin crystals is 137 c. (278f) I think they look and smell great the way they are.

Thanks carolynp for sharing your experiences and offering tips. I imagine the amber you melt down has a higher ratio of vanillin to benzoin crystals than the stuff that I am currently using (which came from edenbotanicals btw). I really can't say if this is a general 'quality' of amber issue or just a different formula. Also thanks for pointing out the high temps I am working at. It is lamentable that there is no international standard for essential oils as the quality of the oil greatly impacts the flash point. As most of the oils I work with are 'first distillations' or 'therapeutic grade' and non menthol based I was well within safe working temps. I should have taken more care to point that out :oops:
It is also worth noting that this was a lighter shade of fragrant amber resin, I think I will try a darker one next to see how it handles and smells.

Here is my first attempt to make something that looks like mother of pearl that I used this in...consider this a beta version, with better looking ones to come with time and experimenting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:13 am 

those are absolutly beautiful :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:52 am 

Very nice looking bars!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:31 pm 

I like them! If they were real stone I would gladly have a pendant made from one of them. Great color mix.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:45 am 

Thanks for the compliments everyone :D

I finally was trying some pricey mica mixes from tkbtrading. I absolutely love their 'travel to mercury' mica blend...too bad it is $14 an ounce!!!! Gotta say tho, it was worth every penny. Twirling this in the sunlight is really dazzling.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:22 am 

oh i like that! very nice :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:44 am 

Your use of colors is wonderful and the way the Mica sparkles is absolutely beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:02 am 

Really lovely job on the soaps! They look exquisite!
As for Amber-- I love burning it into the air using a diffuser-- someone told me you can burn it and use the oil as a perfume. Excited, I gave it a try, however, I ended up being slightly allergic to it (my skin turned red). I would say tread with caution or get amber from a reputable source!

Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:42 pm 

That soap is so beautiful!