[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Bured goats milk

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bured goats milk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:58 am 

I didn't see a hot process section so I figured melt and pour was the closest...
I burned my goats milk when heating. I had it frozen into ice cubes and added the lye so it wouldn't burn. That part was fine. I put it in the crock pot on low (some recipes said low setting, some recipes said warm setting) and after only 15 minutes it was brown. I left it on there for a couple hours because I was following the exact recipe but I'm guessing the low setting was too high for the goats milk??? At the end it was all chunky and hard to get in the mold but I shoved it in there anyway. Looks gross!
Should I toss it given that the milk is burned or can it still be used but only as an ugly olive oil and coconut oil soap (the other ingredients)?
I repeated the same recipe cold process and it was fine...guess I should stick to CP!

Post subject: Re: Bured goats milk
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:03 pm 

Milk has natural sugars which caramelize and can turn brown in handmade soap. For small batches in a crock pot, cooking for 45 minutes should be sufficient. Does it smell burned?
When I make GM soaps, I don't gel at all to get a lighter color. Soap does not need to gel in order for it to become soap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:51 am 

I wouldn't say it smells really burned...maybe mildly burned?? But I think this picture will give you the information you need ..I call them barf bars lol!
They DEFINITELY don't smell as pretty as the same recipe I made cold process. I'd say it was about a 2 lb recipe. Some people say to rebatch but if it burned once wouldn't everything be too burned to use again?

Thank you

Attachments:
bars.jpg
bars.jpg [ 4.37 KiB | Viewed 22371 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:59 am 

It looks dry and crumbly. That's because you cooked it for so long. For a 2 lb. batch, cooking on low for about 45 minutes is sufficient.
Rebatching a soap that has burned will not save it. I would start over.