[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - The making of melt and pour

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:42 am 

Hey guys, im new to this site, and im wanting to try my hand at making my own melt and pour soap base. I have a book of how to make melt and pour by scratch,
but......

All the recipes calls for Bio-Terge 804

i have never herd of this before and i have looked around the web and i can not get my hands on it. :x

So my question is... can i simple replace bio-terge 804 with Sodium c14-16 Olefin sulfonate???

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply :)

HAVE A NICE DAY XXXXX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:59 pm 

I don't use synthetic surfactants in making my own MP soap base.
You can look at The Herbarie online. They carry different surfactants.
http://www.theherbarie.com/Surfactants/
Bioterge 804 is Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Lauramide DEA.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:28 am 

ooo, Im so glad YOU replyed, Ive seen you reply to a few different questions :) you really seem to know your stuff :) !!
I am from the UK and soap making im afriad to say is not as big over here. so im trying to learn from people in amercia posting soaping videos on you tube, the book i have is 'How to make melt and pour from scratch' (A beginner's guid to melt and pour soap base manufacturing) by Kayla Fioravanti.

It explains about bio-terge: its INCI name is Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Sodium Laureth sulfate, and Lauramide DEA.
All of the recipes in this book call for....
Distilled water & Lye

Propylene glycol
Vegetable glycerin
70% Sorbitol solution
Bio-terge 804
stearic acid
Myristic acid
Triethanolamine TEA

I have been able to find everything apart from bio-terge. (to be honest all of these ingredience are a bit 'scienctific' for me.
I am still in the process of learing about them.

I found it hard to find some of the ingredience, untill i went on www.soapkitchen.co.uk . They have a section on making melt and pour.
but instead of bio-terge 804 it had Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate.

My head is spinning, i dont understand????? is it possible to make bio-terge 804? or do you think you could maybe help me with a simple recipy for melt and pour?

Sorry for being clueless, i feel like im a new kid at school and im 10 lessons behind everyone else lol. all of these scienctific names are bambooseling me.
but more importantly im sorry about my apporling spelling!

Hope you can shed some light of all of this,
Thank you again for taking the time to read and reply

hope you have a lovely day :) :) xxxxx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:25 am 

I prefer to use more natural ingredients. Here is a tutorial on how to make glycerin soap from scratch. This is a similar method of what I use.
http://crafty.dyskolus.com/cosmetics/cl ... etics.html