[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - PERFUME IN MELT AND POUR

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PERFUME IN MELT AND POUR
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:43 am 

I have a question that has been on my mind for a while now. Can you add perfume or eau de toilet in melt and pour soap without something weird happening to it :?:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:13 pm 

It contains water which could soften the soap. You would also need more since it's diluted unlike pure, undiluted fragrance oils.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:59 am 

Hi,

Yeah I don't think perfume has water in it but rather perfumer's alcohol so that should evaporate out I'm thinking. The Eau du Toilette may have some water in it. That one is not such a hot idea cuz Eau du Toilette has only about 5-15% fragrance in it whereas perfume depending on quality can have up to like 70?% I'm thinking? (Also Eau du Toilette can have other weird things in it - well not weird but rather stuff that may not work well in soap such as a solubilzer - like polysorbate 80 or 20 - a good thing to have if you want to mix EOs or FOs with water - along with some preservative for a do it yourself Eau de Toilette for instance - the preservative won't affect anything I imagine but the polysorbate might?!) I don't remember exactly the % for perfume but I know at least 50% - so it's pretty strong - but I'm talking the real stuff - it's more expensive on average than fragrance and only 50-70% as strong therefore just not a great idea. And then of course there's cologne which is more like 35% and so forth - several different categories.

HOWEVER if that's all you've got I say try a small batch first. Make sure you calculate how much you're using percentage-wise and write that down so that if you do like it you can repeat it!! I swear one of my biggest mistakes is not labeling and failing to take good enough notes. I''ll find I forgot to write down what fragrance I used with my soap recipe or if I added titanium dioxide even though I bought a blank recipe-book to do so (it's really cool and I'd recommend it for sure for sure - cuz if you find one that has room for ingredients and instructions, notes, time and whatnot it's just all ready to go for you and you don't need to set up some kind of chart and I don't have a printer and it just looks a whole lot more organized than notes on a blank page! It's a great way to keep track of what accelerates and what discolors or what this or that additive did to the soap... Plus it's in a book form so it will stay put together and in reasonably good shape for a long time - I'll be able to see a year from now my progress very easily - yay - so happy I thought of it!! I should go buy a few more while they are still selling that one cuz I REALLY like it!! But you know how it goes - do I want to buy a couple more fragrances this month or more recipe books - well fragrance of course LOL - but not exactly the most practical thing to do - ok now I'm just blabbering so I'll stop now LOL...)

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Bless,

Rowan