[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Keep Finished Soaps Separated? Fragrance Bleed?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:01 pm 

So I read somewhere recently (sorry, don't remember where) that it might be smart to keep finished soaps away from other soaps of different fragrances, because the fragrances can bleed into the other soaps if they are stored too closely. I can't remember the context for this bit of advice, but I thought someone here may either concur or debunk this idea. I make LCP soaps and currently have them wrapped in paper and stored on a shelf together -- about 10 different fragrances. I would hate for this to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:17 am 

Welcome!
I shrink wrap my soaps. When I go to shows, they are together in a plastic crate. Once separated, their own scent stays where it is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:02 am 

I'm new to soap making, so forgive me. :wink: Haven't tried shrink wrapping yet; I really like the papered look and I thought having to tear off two types of packaging would be a bit much. (This is why I currently use LCP.) If you are saying that shrink wrapping is a fragrance barrier, wouldn't that be a problem for customers who are picking up your soap to smell it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:51 am 

There is a smell through shrink wrap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:15 am 

I only shrink wrap just before selling , I am just starting and only have a circle of friends who buy
I was wondering does shrink wrapping early effect the curing time ,
I assume they are shrink wrapped after curing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:15 pm 

If this is MP soap, I shrink wrap as soon as the soap has cooled off. MP soap does not need to cure.
For CP soap, I don't wrap til the soap is completely cured because water evaporates and the soap shrinks as it cures.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:23 am 

Hi,

Paper is great for CP but for M n P you can use either the shrink wrap or if you haven't a heat gun then wrapping it in cling-wrap like a package - ya know like a birthday present? will leave you the same finished look and keep the bar from sweating (and you can smell thru it). Colors and fragrances are going to migrate if you keep them stacked right up against each other (well not non-bleeding colors - but like cocoa for instance right up against another bar for a good while will leave that side a bit brownish) unwrapped but really they have to be touching (I'm pretty sure) to do this and even if they are wrapped then I imagine you might get some fragrance crossing but it would be temporary - as in a day away from each other will cure the problem. I'll give you a for instance, if you were to keep some vanilla scented soap in a box filled to the brim, touching each other with some bars of florals I imagine the florals will smell a bit like vanilla for a day or two once you take them out of the box - depends of course how long you had them in said box - so many variables!! Easy fix is to put the wrapped bars of each kind of soap in plastic bags before putting them into the box (fully cured CP bars wrapped however or even unwrapped and totally wrapped in plastic M n P for sure - this is somewhat dependent on the humidity level where you reside - like where I live it's soooo dry all the time that my bars actually get dry instead of sweat!!! And I can keep unwrapped bars of one type in a plastic bag to store them - but it is truly very dry where I live!!)

Good Luck,

Rowan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:44 am 

I can't use paper to wrap MP soap. They would bleed glycerin and soak the paper. For fully cured CP that would be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:47 am 

I shrink wrap my soaps to start. Once they have sold I package them further in a kraft box with a cute label. To keep the scents from bleeding I purchased a bunch of plastic shoe boxes from Container store for each scent. They're small and stack nicely so it works well for me. It's also convienent for when I plan to start doing shows next year.

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!