[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Reformulating my lip balm...

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:15 pm 

I really like my current lip balm recipe and so do my customers but I'm not IN love with it so I have decided to reformulate. If I added a hard oil such as coconut oil, I'm thinking I would take down the amount of butter correct? Also, I was thinking of adding in an oil soluble extract like aloe. Since this is in a liquid form and in an oil base would I decrease the amount of my liquid oil then when calculating the extract into my percentages? I'm going to be coming up with a few different formula's and then testing them in small amounts. Also, I wanted to add a vegan lip balm to my line so I was going to replace the beeswax with candellila wax. I know that when using candellila wax in place of beeswax you cut the percentage in half so would I divide the rest of the percentage into my butter and oil percentages? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:48 pm 

Coconut is not a hard oil. You can up the butter if it's too soft. You can change the beeswax amount too, but if you add too much it will feel draggy on the lips. Is the aloe extract lip safe? For subbing the candelilla for the beeswax, I would start even lower; maybe 40% sub of candelila for all of the beeswax.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 am 

Oh okay, I figured since coconut oil is solid at room temp that it would add hardness to the lip balm. Yes, the aloe extract is lip safe. Thank you for the note on the candellila wax. I will start off at a lower amount and work from there.