[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Salve-How to make it

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Salve-How to make it
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:17 pm 

A friend of mine has a natural health store(she sells nature herbal suppliments and such) Anyway...

Here is a portion of email to me:

We carry a salve called Burchicks Salve and are no longer able to get it from the previous maker. I was wondering if it's something you would be able, or want to try making. The ingredients are: burdock, chickweed, comfrey, plantan, rosemary, lavender, olive oil, and beeswax.

Now here is the question and my comments(I guess). First-comments: I see it has OO, but I don't know if the other are powdered ingredients or EO etc. I would say the Rosemary and Lavender are EO.

As far as making something similiar IDK what % each of the ingredients are/were. She did say that this is the order of the ingredients on the label.

Any help or suggestions on how to make salve(guess this is my question ) and what would be good % for these ingredients?

Post subject: Re: Salve-How to make it
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:43 pm 

Infusing herbs in oil is not an exact art. They should be weighed of course, but since herbal material varies from batch to batch and season to season, I would start with 50% of the plant material total. So if you have dried burdock, chickweed, comfrey, plantan (plantain I presume?) I would add them each at 12.5% and the other 50% would be your olive oil. Be aware that the herbs will absorb some of the olive oil and you won't get the same amount of olive oil once the herbs are strained and squeezed out. You will get less once all is infused.

I normally use my Presto pot for infusing since it has a temp control. You don't want to scorch the herbs and waste your infusion. I cook them on low (off and on) for about one week, then strain.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:31 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:40 pm 

http://www.sfherb.com/ has dried burdock, chickweed & comfrey. Plantain can be had at http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Plantain-Leaf-Cut_Organic

Presto Pots are also called Presto Kitchen Kettles. They are made of a thick metal with a non-stick coating and have a temp gauge that you plug into the side. It has a glass lid. These pots have a concealed heating element, so there is no need for water; just oils and herbs. This is what it looks like. Don't use the metal basket. It tends to scratch the inner non stick finish.
http://www.amazon.com/Presto-06006-Kitc ... B002JM202I

You melt the beeswax and mix it with the WARM infused oil, then carefully pour into containers. I guess it gets sort of "creamy" if it's a loose balm. Make sure if you are using tins that they are safe for cosmetic use or have an inner liner. I bought tins before for my salve, and even with no water at all, over time the tins discolored and got rusty.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:41 am 

You might also try Mountain Rose Herbs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 pm 

Thanks Irena, I did find a place to get the herbs. :D Thanks for the link to that Presto Pot too. Guess I never heard it by that name( I think bought one for my sister one year for Christmas)

Thanks lsg-that is where I found the least expensive herbs. Found a YouTube video from them on how to make salve too!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:18 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:16 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:13 am 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:17 pm 

Thanks for posting, I watched the video yesterday and have not stop making infused oils for salves since :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:26 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:05 pm 

I have to have my tins on the table and pour into them, instead of holding them. My hands aren't as steady as they used to be and I'm sure I would spill it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:43 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:15 am 

I grow a lot of culinary herbs so maybe I'll just expand my garden and add a few others. I'll have to research their properties to figure out which ones to plant. As for dandelions- there's no shortage of them around! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:23 pm