[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Bath bomb/bath fizzie question

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:03 pm 

Hello again ladies and gents... I'm in yet another conundrum. I decided to make bath bombs with a smaller one of a different color inside. These "inserts" turned out awesome, but had to dry overnight. The problem I'm having is, the next day when I go to repack, the outer "shell" isn't sticking to the insert. I don't understand why this is...they both have the standard bath bomb core recipe ( with a little bit of tweaking ie luster dusts, little silver stars etc) But its basically sodium bicarb, citric acid, eo's or fo's, an emulsifier, my butter blend, some kaolin and colorant. The only variant in the "shell" is I add slsa...I have tried several different molds to pack with, but the shells are still not sticking to the insert, and are VERY delicate, powdery, and a bit misshapen. This is driving me BONKERS!!! If anyone has any feedback, it would be SO greatly appreciated!!! Thank you all SO much!! :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:25 pm 

I have never heard of doing that, how cool! :o

If the shells are powdery, they might be too dry. When you say "slsa", does that mean sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate? If you are adding SLS to the shells only, then the shell mixture will have a greater percentage of dry ingredients compared to the insert mixture. This might be making the shells dryer and more powdery. You could try adding more moisture to the shells by adding more oils, fragrance, or witch hazel to your shell mixture. If the mixture is wetter, it will probably pack around the inserts much better.

Or, you could try packing on the shells within a few minutes of making the inserts, instead of waiting overnight.

That's what I would try, anyway.