[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Belly Butter (pregnancy)

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Belly Butter (pregnancy)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:51 am 

I am 5 months pregnant and so far am stretch mark free! I would love any tips on staying this way, or at least keeping them to a minimum! I have been using a lot of straight cocoa butter but want to make an actual lotion or butter, does any one have any tips or suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:05 pm 

You could make an easy body butter with 1/3 butters 1/3 liquid oils and 1/3 wax of some sort (beeswax or candelila are good choices).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 am 
Site Admin

I hate to be the Negative Nelly in this conversation but what I have ready is not encouraging.

I love Paula Begoun and her no nonsense approach to cosmetics. So I looked up her reviews of stretch mark lotions and she says that none of them work. Where the damage is happening is in the subcutaneous layer of the skin - and a topical lotion will have no effect on this layer. She has a fabulous article here http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=369

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:03 am 

I've heard essentially the same thing - and I have to say that I have some stretch marks that I've tried everything on, with very little results. They're kind of subsurface scarring, really, not a problem with the surface of the skin.

Sorry to be a bummer.

Post subject: stretch marks
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:47 pm 

If it were me, I'd still be using belly cream or butter even if supposedly they don't work - after all, just in case... =)

So, I'd make something with Tamanu Oil, Shea Butter () and Lavender and Carrot Seed Essential Oil . Kind of like a strange mash-up that won't smell so good but if it even saved 15% of stretch marks, it would be worth it. :)[/list]

Anne-Marie
blog: www.soap-queen.blogspot.com
supplies: www.brambleberry.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:00 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:38 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 am 

AngelBella - I loved that story, thanks! I have still been using creams and lotions, just in case! (Lots of Cocoa Butter and Vitamin E Oil) I only have about 2 months left, so we shall see! Thanks again for the story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:04 pm 

Glad you liked the story.. It's sweet..

I was thinking the same thing.. Vitamin E mixed with Cocoa Butter. I think that's the best.. Jojoba is suppose to be the best oil for sinking into the skin..maybe mix some of that in with it..

good luck with everything..

Rhonda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:03 pm 

I know this is WAY too late :) but it came up under a search for belly.

I am 8 months and have been using shealoe butter straight out of the jar when I remember. I have a few marks, but nothing major. I'm hoping it stays that way.

I am going to make a lotion bar tonight using this recipe, but subbing cocoa butter for the kokum and jojoba for the SAO.

2 oz bees wax
1 oz shea butter
1 oz kokum butter
2 oz SAO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:51 am 

I ended up using a mix of Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter, Vitamin E Oil and maybe one other oil.... can't really remember, was a while ago. I got to the last 2 weeks with no marks at all... then they came... not too bad, but definitely there. She is 8 1/2 months old now though and they are really faint. She was also 1 week overdue and HUGE. 9lbs 2oz., 21 inches :D

I am not sure if the butter really helped or not, but if I did it over again I am sure I would still use it anyway! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:23 pm 

I'm a testament to the goodness of cocoa butter...I used it for both my littlest kids, not a stretchmark to be found! And, I um...."ate for two" on the first one...I also have an older daughter...didn't believe in lotion back then and ooooops....it twas not pretty!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:20 am 

I think whether you get stretch marks or not depends on the elasticity of your skin. My grandmother had 8 children and does not have a single stretch mark on her body. I on the other hand got stretch marks when I was 6 months pregnant with my first and I slathered cocoa butter and lotion on my belly like crazy. I think it also might depend on the rate at which you gain weight. If you gradually gain weight you might have less marks and vice versa.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:35 am 

I heard the same thing. Depends on your skin type and also possibly comparable to what type of stretch marks your mother had...of course when I was actually pregnant I did not care. I just wanted to slather on anything that I heard would help... just in case! :D