[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Shea Butter Conditioner Recipe

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:28 pm 

I had gotten this recipe from another forum. Here is the original recipe and the link:
http://www.agbangakarite.com/recipe_mintcream.php (scroll down)

Mint Cream Hair Dressing

approximately 16 oz jar
8 oz raw shea butter
4 oz olive oil
4 oz castor oil
2 tbs ginger mint herb tea
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
30 drops peppermint essential oil

In a double boiler slowly, gently melt shea butter. While butter is melting, add herb tea to olive oil and heat in double boiler for about 20 minutes - enough time to infuse oil with the essence of the tea. Strain through cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set aside. Combine melted shea butter, infused olive, and castor oil. Stir in peppermint essential oil (and cayenne pepper, if you desire - good scalp stimulant in small quantities) and set aside, allowing to cool. After mixture solidifies, you may use a hand mixer to make it creamier. It's now ready to use! Contributed by Michelle - Virgin Gorda Bath Shop Georgia, USA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The person on the other forum said she used this as a conditioner except you have to shampoo it out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My rendition The amounts are divided into fourths because I only wanted to try a small bit:
old shampoo bottle
4 oz raw shea butter
2 oz olive oil
2 oz castor oil
.5 ml Lavender EO
.5 ml Patchouli EO

I melted only a portion of the shea butter and blended it with the rest in the kitchen aid. I tried to do it whipped style, but realized that it wouldn't work because of the ratio. Ok, its late here, I need a shower, I do ditsy stuff at times like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:49 pm 

Since it has tea, which is water soluble, wouldn't you need a preservative in it? Would the ingredients separate? This recipe is very confusing to me.

Why not just infuse the tea in some oil instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:16 pm 

As I stated above, that was the original recipe that I did not write. Notice that the author's name is written below the recipe. Below it is how I tweeked it. I did not use tea because I had the same suspicions as you. I scented it with Patchouli and Lavender EOs, which turned out great. The original author did not write directions for in-shower use. That is confusing to me too, but its not that difficult to figure out. I just used it and it is great. Almost just like store-bought! So, what exactly did you find confusing. Maybe I can help. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:18 pm 

Actually, as I read over the recipe again, it does say to infuse the oil. You infuse the Olive Oil. But like I said I didn't do that at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:59 pm 

I like your recipe much better! :D