[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Trouble with my cream soap and question about my coconut oil

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:09 pm 

Hello everyone! I am somewhat new here but have been a little nervous about asking anything until now.lol I dont want to ask a question and find out i should've known the answer. Anyhoo, here it goes. So i made my first batch of cream soap and it turned out just fine, so i was happy and had the confidence to then try a bigger batch. So i did. However, i let it sit over night after it was done cooking and what not like i was told in the recipe i followed and the next morning it was a think liquid cream soap. Its almost like a super think creamy pearly dove bodywash type consistency. Is it ruined?( I put a preservative in it just in case if that makes any difference) it's definitely thicker than the dove body wash, and has a beautiful pearly look to it. But its also definitely not a bath butter type of thick like i see many others. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 pm 

It's not ruined. Many soapmakers try to make something like this. Where did the recipe come from? Did you run it through a lye calc? Did you use both potassium and sodium hydroxide? Did you superfat? Does it zap?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:48 am 

Thank you for replying so fast! So i used a recipe from humblebee & me and ran it thru BB's calc. 3 different times to get the Koh and naoh then for the. . This was the first batch.

50% olive oil
30%coconut
15%shea
5%castor
5%superfat

The second Batch i used a completely different recipe from a youtuber that idr the name of. But it was under the title "cream soap for beginners" and her recipe was
562g stearic acid. 941g water solution
187g coconut oil. 173g koh
156 olive oil. 35g naoh
62g castor
38g shea
311g glycerin

125g glycerin&50g stearic for the SF
I followed this recipe to the T. Oh and the additives were kaolin and powdered sugar and thats the only part i didnt follow as i didnt have the powdered sugar. But did add the kaolin. I hope my rambling made sense.lol How could i go about using it the way it is? Would it be any different than how i would normally use it? Does it need diluted? Lol sorry, i am still somewhat new to this. Ive been making liquid soap and a little cp but this was my first couple batches of cream soap. I am actually the opposite of most you guys that i read on here in the lotion section where some would say theyre somewhat new to lotion making but are soap goddesses that have been making it for years.lol I on the other hand have been making lotions and newer at soap. I am actually a mineral cosmetics making junkie.lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:01 am 

Oh! And it does not zap, and the ph is about 9. I plan on buying an actual tester, however i actually have not been able to find one, and i wasnt sure if ibwas going to make often enough to need one. But now that i know i will, i am on the hunt! I dont sell, nor plan to any time soon, but i do have friends and family that like my cosmetics and want to be as safe as possible. I actually have a chemist in my family that im betting wouldnt mind even testing it some.lol just for family of course. I dont think i have the patience to start my own business as i am already pretty much running my husbands for him.lol just kidding, i dont run it, but i do a lot of the work when it come to the social part of it as he doesnt have a whole lot of people skills.lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm 

You don't need any sugar. Adding anything after the cook is not a guarantee that it will end up as your superfat. Add everything right up front. I do add glycerin after the cook as that makes the soap easier to work with. I'm not near a lye calc, so I can't check the figures for you.

The more sodium hydroxide you add the harder the recipe will be. The more potassium hydroxide you add, the softer the recipe will be.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:14 pm 

Thank you for taking your time to respond and help me with my questions. I know it was alot.lol I didnt add anything after the cook, i added it after trace and got pretty thick as i was told in the recipe. Also kind of like what i have seen from soaping101s cream soap video, after hers tested neutral. And then let it continue to cook. It turned out just like the one in the video and looked almost like BB bathwhip. Until the next morning after letting sit and cool of course.lol my guess was it was condensation that thinned it out maybe? Idk. But i actually just took a small amout to try and whip it and it thickened right back up and whipped like normal! Weird huh? Lol also, i know that more naoh will be harder and more koh =softer. My first batch recipe was actually a 50:50 lye combination! And it is definitely a lot thicker and was soooo much more work trying to stir! Lol You guys should all have buff right/left arms by now with so many years of soaping!lol I, on the other hand have always just used my stick blender or hand blender. Shoot, i even have a few mini hand mixers like the coffee frothers for my tiny or test batches so i dont normaly have to work so hard when it comes to mixing. Haha. Anyhoo, thanks so much again for taking you time to help me. I am very grateful that you replied and see that you are always so willing to help answer anyones questions. Thats so kind of you. It really makes me feel glad to have joined this group and not so nervous to ask any questions. Thank you for that too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:25 pm 

Lye after trace is still very active. It will take whatever it wants. Adding any superfat after trace is a waste of your time.

And you're welcome.