[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - New to making bath bombs, where the experts at?!

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:29 pm 

Hello everyone! My name is Katelin, I'm 22 and I live in Maine. I stay at home with my 14 month old while my boyfriend works! I just joined this site because I ordered things to make bath bombs and was set back a little when someone Facebook messaged me and notified me if I wanted to sell these I would need to use FDA approved lake dye instead of food coloring, as the FDA doesn't approve food coloring for cosmetics.

So here's my questions!
When listing my ingredients (baking soda, Epsom salt, citric acid, essential oils) do I also need to list each ingredient in those as well?

Also, what's listed above if i also use lake dye instead of food coloring will my bath bombs be FDA approved?

I'm using metal molds, anything else or suggestions would be really helpful! I was planning on selling some for a few dollars do I can buy at least one color of lake dye so I don't get in trouble, thank you all!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:40 am 

Bath Bombs are considered cosmetics, so yes, you need to list ALL your ingredients. Food coloring is not meant for bath bombs if they are for sale. For just yourself that's fine, but be aware that the colors can bleed or morph. They can also stain the bathtub. If you use food coloring for bath bombs, the FDA would consider your product misbranded.

Lake powders need to be batch certified directly from the manufacturer. The only place that I know of where you can buy batch certified Lakes is TKB Trading, but you need to buy a pound of each color.

I would use micas instead.