[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - I need advise PLEASE with liquid soap/shampoo

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:58 am 

Hi everyone I am a new comer to the forum but not soap making. I have been making hot process soap for about 16 years now but I would like to try my hand at liquid soap/shampoo. I have done some research and I can tell you I am TOTALLY confused now...lol anyhow, let me explain what I am trying to make. My horse loves to roll in the mud and picked up a fungus from the damp dirt (I live is SW FL). Well I wanted to make him a soap, I did research and neem oil is a great oil so I came up with a bar soap (after 5 different recipe trial batches) this was my last bar that bubbles great on people....but not much on horses. It's 27% coconut, 24% neem, 17% olive, 22% palm, 7% castor and 3% beeswax. Well I think it would work better as a liquid or shampoo...therein lies the problem..I'm totally lost and could really use any advise. Should I make a castile soap and just add the neem oil to it? Should I make the soap with the neem oil? Do I use a crock pot or cook on stove or a double boiler? Do I cure the soap paste or use right away? What percent of oils do I use and which oils? Ugh...to much information out there. Water, coconut milk which is better? What I'm looking for is a thick, full of bubbles soap. Am I dreaming or is this possible? Please, please can anybody help me?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:44 pm 

I'm a little confused. Are you making a solid soap with sodium hydroxide or a liquid soap with potassium hydroxide?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:31 pm 

I would like to make a liquid soap or a shampoo. I made a bar soap with the percents I mentioned above. Just put that in to show what I used before. I would like to use a high percentage of Neem oil if that is possible. Just don't know where or how to start. Have never used Potassium hydroxide before. Don't know if I should make a castile soap and add the neem oil after or to make the soap with the neem oil. Looking for some advise.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:37 pm 

I would use the neem at about 5% and use potassium hydroxide. Run the recipe through the Soap Lye Calc as a liquid soap. It will give you guidelines and ranges to go for when making a liquid soap. Add everything right up front. I superfat my liquid soap at 3%, but that's the only exception. My regular hard soaps are 7-8% as anything below that my skin finds drying.