[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Lotion bars using Candelilla Wax

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:20 am 

Hi all,
I did my debut lotion bar today.. The recipe goes as below..

Shea butter - 20%
Kokum butter - 20%
Coconut oil - 27%
Almond oil - 13%
candelilla wax - 20% with grapefruit oil EO few drops

The lotion bars have come out well. But my question is, whether the proportion of candelilla wax used holds good or too much for this recipe! As I could see only beeswax based recipes online, I wanted to do a vegan product, hence substituted candelilla for beeswax. As candelilla wax is a hard wax, I used only 50% of the original beeswax recipe. Please correct me if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:01 am 

How did this turn out? You used a lot of solid, brittle and hard oil/butter with very little liquid oil.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:08 pm 

Hi there,

The weather here is humid, ( like Florida ) hence even if I use hard or brittle oils, it would melt very easily upon contact with the skin.
It has come out pretty good. All I was worrying about is the quantum of wax to be used. Whether it holds good for the recipe or too much. How much % of candelilla wax is to be used in a lotion bar recipe? Please advise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:11 am 

Generally half the amount of beeswax. You did mention in your OP you used half but that would mean you would have used 40% if using beeswax, which seems high to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:03 am 

I saw many recipes using beeswax which says 33% butters, 33% oils & 33% wax. So I used the same technique but half the wax mentioned. And used candelilla wax instead. The bars have come out pretty good. :D