[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Shampoo Bar Question

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shampoo Bar Question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:01 pm 

I may have shared recently somewhere else here- I can't remember-but about a month ago I took approximately two feet of hair off and went from platinum blonde to an almost black color with red highlights. Drastic. But after 27 years of being a blondie, it was damaged pretty bad.

I was instructed that sulfate-free shampoos were best to keep the color from fading. Now enter problem A: I have always had an extremely, extremely dry scalp, from the time I was a child, even before the coloring came along. (Also acne prone, no other skin issues other than being pasty.)

When I was blonde I self-colored and used T-gel and sometimes some other shampoos to try to help keep that mess down to a dull roar. I know those shampoos can wreak havoc on color but I never really noticed any issues with the blonde. I'm a bit terrified they will with this color, because after a month, I am already seeing noticeable fading, even with babying it. I haven't used anything for the scalp and it is driving me insane. I got blessed with naturally thick, fast growing hair and alligator-head. Yay!

I know it's got to be maintained and the days of self-color are by the wayside but I was wondering if anyone darks their hair and also makes their own shampoo bar and has anything they can share. I'm looking for a recipe I can make for myself that will care for the color and keep the scalp in halfway decent condition.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Shampoo Bar Question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:24 pm 

I don't have an answer for you.
I have thin, straight blonde hair. I can't use regular handmade soap as a shampoo bar. Even with a vinegar rinse, my hair feels rough, frizzy and looks like straw.
I formulated a syndet shampoo bar from swiftcraftymonkey blog.
Have you tried plain jojoba with a couple of drops of Lavender or Tea Tree for the scalp?

Post subject: Re: Shampoo Bar Question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:15 am 

I have not but I will! I usually try to use a coconut or olive oil soak which helps some for both hair and scalp, but not enough.

I have tried home prepared hair conditioners and they leave my hair feeling like straw too, so I am actually glad to hear I am not alone in that general area. I was bummed to try them and have that happen when reading about all the success of other ladies. My hair also held the vinegar smell like crazy which, I hear, does not normally happen.

Thank you so much!