[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Would love some bath bomb Ideas

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:24 pm 

I am fairly new to this. I made some bath bombs 2 years ago as Christmas presents for the ladies in my family. I used a recipe I found online. At the time I did not have a job so was looking for something I could make a lot of inexpensively.

Everyone loved them, It is now all they ever want for Christmas/Birthdays. I went to a few fundraisers and craft shows, they sold "ok". I molded them in a 1.5" PVC Union and tamped them down with a dowel rod. they were about 1/2" thick. At this time I was buying my citric acid at Walmart. In the canning section (when they had it).

I wanted to begin doing it to make extra money so I added it to my Facebook page. A local shop (next town over) wanted me to make some for her store.

I moved up to the clear soap molds like you find at Hobby Lobby. She liked the size better. It takes almost 2x the mix to make one as before (about 1/2 a cup of the wet mixture).

My questions are:
1. Do ya'll use ONLY essential oil for scent? I got mine at hobby lobby and it is like $6.99 for a half ounce. Seems to take almost 1/2 the bottle to get the desired scent. This makes for a very expensive batch as I can only get 12 bath bombs out of one batch.

2. She is located in the town made famous by "The Walking Dead" TV show, she wants me to come up with a "Zombie Bomb". Would love to hear any ideas you may have on this. Maybe some pictures printed out on the water soluble paper I saw here: http://www.brambleberry.com/Water-Solub ... P3318.aspx

3. What seems to be the best "go to" recipe for bath bombs. The one I use now has Citric Acid, Epsom Salts, Baking Soda, and Corn Starch in it.... are there better ones?

4. Can Silicone molds be used to make bath bombs? or should I stick with the more rigid molds?

I would love to order a few of the 2.75" Stainless Molds offered here: http://www.brambleberry.com/Stainless-S ... P4670.aspx, so hopefully one day I can.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:38 am 

I use both fragrance and essential oils. Hobby Lobby is very overpriced. Get yourself some scents from BrambleBerry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:05 am 

That is my plan... I had leftovers from my first excersion into it :P how do you determine how much of each to use?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:36 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:46 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:34 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:32 pm 

For a Zombie Bomb, something green and black, maybe made to look like a zombie face. Then put a red core in it so after the outer shell fizzes away, red "blood" starts spurting out in the bath water.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:46 pm 

Awesome! what about scent? can I make a liquid core? that would be awesome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:37 pm 

Hmm, scent. Maybe something musky, spicy, with alcohol notes? Like one of BB's wine or rum FOs? I have never heard of a liquid core and don't know if it's possible, but if you could figure out some way to make it work that would be neat. Wish you luck! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:14 pm 

You can buy empty capsules, like empty plastic p ills. Those could be embedded in the bomb then would dissolve once they got wet. You would have to test to make sure as I have never actually done this! =)

Something like this; http://www.amazon.com/Capsule-Connectio ... s=capsules

Edit - It kept changing p-i-l-l-s to soaps!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:52 am 

I have about 950 of those :P I have a planted aquarium. You fill these with Osmocote to put fertilizer in the tank near the plant roots :)

I will try these with oil mixed with a red colorant. See if the capsules hold up to being molded inside a fizzie.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:03 am 

what about a floating soap molded into the shape of a brain inside a fizzie shapped like a zombie face?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:21 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:55 am 

I have never made Soap, to make a floating soap I am assuming it is whipped somehow... what type of soap would this be? a Heat/pour type?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:36 pm 

I LOVE making Bath Bombs! the #1 seller I made this year... err last year, was Winter Gardenia from BB mixed with an EO Peppermint (from another supplier) the smell was out of this world. The mint made it come alive. I play around by putting SLSA in the bombs for more bubble action. I have learned most people do not like botanicals in their bombs, having to clean them out, they just are not fans. I have used melt and pour embeds. I tend to use A LOT of salts and oils in my bombs, and just enough baking soda to hold them together. I created my own recipe, they end up rock hard and last 20-30 min in the tub. I use mainly FO, but do my best to add in EO's. For colors, I use the bath bomb colorants from BB. I was given 8 colors for a gift. I like mixing multiple colors up and doing layers, and getting swirls, tye dye affects. So much fun.