[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Is it mold or FO Discoloring?!

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:06 pm 

So I made my first emulsified salt scrub! I used the recipe from SoapQueen and followed everything almost exactly! I made sure to bleach water EVERYTHING! Like not one dot was unwashed. The only difference was Inused BB Chocolate Espresso FO instead of the mint because it was there smelling all delicious! About a half hour after I poured the scrubs and finished cleanup I noticed one jar had a peachy color on the side. Is it mold or is the FO Discoloring my batch?

Can it mold that fast?! :shock: I'm worried because I have 5 other jars that show no signs of this but you guys know how mold is! :cry:

Link to picture via Twitter: https://twitter.com/pandaleegames/statu ... 8156848128

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:15 pm 

It could be the fragrance. Did you mix it in well? How much of the FO did you use?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:59 pm 

I only used 1% of the chocolate espresso and I thought I mixed it well. :/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:36 pm 

If it has some vanilla in it, it will most likely discolor. I would give it 2-3 days, then post another photo. The only time I had a peachy color show up was when I used a preservative that interacted with a citrus oil. If you don't feel comfortable posting the recipe here, feel free to send me a PM.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:03 pm 

Well I just checked it again and 4 of my 5 jars looks the same in terms of a tiny dot or orange color. The 5th jar that had the most orange got a bit more orange. I followed the SoapQueen tv recipe to the letter in every ingredient but the fragrance oil. It still smells fine and he texture isn't any different. :/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:29 pm 

Phenonip is paraben based and it's used at 0.5%-1.0%. Were your containers new? Did you mix everything well? Do you have an accurate scale? Which % of the preservative did you use?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:01 pm 

The containers were brand new and cleaned with rubbing alcohol and a fresh paper towel for each one. I added the fragrance just before the preservative and mixed as well as I could. It looked white at the time and I mixed for a solid minute to be sure. The scale I use is that one from BB that comes with the adapter and has the plastic lift top over the buttons to keep it nice. Everything was measured on it to the number.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:04 pm 

I use cases of containers on a regular basis. I never clean them with anything. They come in large boxes with the containers in plastic bags. I use them as they are. Unless you use Everclear, regular rubbing alcohol has lot of water. It's possible that your containers got contaminated from that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:12 pm 

I would think it's discoloring from the FO. You said the discoloration started right away, that would be some pretty aggressive mold. I do the alcohol spritz to disinfect my containers, making sure they are completely dry before adding product, and haven't had any problems. The only thing you can do is try it again (small batch) and see what happens. Also, don't be afraid to contact BB and get there opinion, I've found them to be very helpful.