[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Bath Bombs Bombed

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bath Bombs Bombed
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:40 pm 

Har har, I couldn't resist the pun.

This is my third time trying making bath bombs. I used this recipe here: http://teachsoap.com/2012/03/22/making-bath-bombs/ (The Basic one.)

I've seen that water is an acceptable replacement for witch hazel, which is the only thing I can think of.

The first time, I over-moisturized, and the bombs grew after I molded them.

Second time, I could not get the mix wet enough to stick, once out of the mold, they basically turned into a pile of sand. I didn't want the same thing to happen as the first time, and I ended up just giving up.

This time I was determined to find the right mix, and I kept at it. About twenty minutes of mixing and spritzing, stopping to check if it was sticking every few spritzes. I was using a fine mist sprayer, I don't know if that's the problem? I went through nearly 2/3 oz. of water. They finally stuck, and I was estatic I got one good bomb, but the others started crumbling out of the mold, and I think that's how many I ended up with... one good bomb.

Does anyone have any hints about this?

I used:

16 oz. baking soda
8 oz. of citric acid
3 ml of fragrance oil
1/2 tsp. of pigment
And 2/3 oz. of water spritzed over about 20 minutes.

Post subject: Re: Bath Bombs Bombed
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:10 pm 

I checked them this morning, and they had all "slumped", kind of melting from sphere shapes into little blobs. Maybe I'll try again with witch hazel... or a stronger spray bottle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:53 pm 

I wouldn't use water. It can cause your bath bombs to fizz too much. I would just stick with the witch hazel. It only really needs about 5-6 sprays and the mixture sticks together. It can be bought at any dollar store or at walmart pretty cheap.

Also, are you making them in an excessively humid environment? This can cause them to fizz too much in the container. Are you sterilizing the equipment you are using prior to making the bomb mixture? Are you washing your hands before hand, wearing an apron, wearing a hairnet, and are animals running around where you are working? I'm not trying to make you mad, but sometime people don't think about these things and the bacteria/mold/yeast can be on your hands or clothes and can get into your mixture quite easily.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:06 pm 

Check out Holly Port's book Make It Fizz.She has much better recipes that I've found very reliable.

Like us: http://www.facebook.com/AvitalsApiaries

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:31 pm 

Thank you both for your suggestions!

I'm thinking maybe bath bombs are just my kryptonite. I can make soap, mix perfumes, knit, draw, paint, collage... but these buggers just aren't working for me. Tried again today and tried not to use too much witch hazel, but they all just crumbled. I think my plastic mold might be part of the problem now? I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:30 pm 

Don't worry it just takes practice. As of right now, my kryptonite are lotion bars. I have attempted to make three batches and each one is really soft. So I ordered more beeswax to try again. I'm hoping that this time works.