[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Wondering about colorants...

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:05 pm 

Hey ladies!! I'm doing ok with the method I'm using now, which is just carefully mixing my powdered colorants into my mixes...but I was wondering if there was a better way to do this. I finally tracked down the PERFECT color for my Pink Flamingo bath bomb, Red #27, and the perfect orange as well, Yellow #6. I just don't want them to turn out powdery, and the way I have to make my bombs, due to the climate I live in, colorant dispersed in glycerin isn't cutting it...it makes the mix dry extremely soft (not good for shipping!!) What do you guys mix your colorants in? Thanks a bunch!! :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:45 pm 

Are you using the FD&C water soluble colors? If so, you could premixed them in some alcohol, like perfumers alcohol. If you make a saturated mix, you would only need a couple of drops in your bath bomb mixture.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:58 pm 

Yes, thanks for the quick reply Irena!! They say that they ARE water soluble, and in my experience in using the Yellow #6, the bombs turned out GREAT!!! Unfortunately, I don't know what perfumer's alcohol is (eek!!), so I'm not sure if I have it! :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:57 pm 

You're welcome. If you don't know what perfumer's alcohol is, you probably don't have it. I would try to find isopropyl alcohol 90% at your local store or pharmacy. Don't use vodka as that requires a liquor license because the government wants you to pay them extra taxes from the sale of vodka or Everclear.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:30 am 

I DO have 91% isopropyl alcohol...I only thought I may have perfumers alcohol without knowing exactly what it was because I'll buy something here or there in a small amount to research later...wow you have to have a license to use alcohol in products? I am SO thankful for this site!! AND for you, Irena, you always get right down to business and haven't steered me wrong yet!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:31 am 

(food coloring and craft glitter 8 months ago lollol...need I say more?)