[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - preservatives

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: preservatives
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:18 am 

Now I am confused about preservatives, I have been using optiphen and just now seen it doesn't protect against everything. I want a non paraben and non formaldehyde preservative that will protect against mold, yeast, and bacteria, but will also work in/with all b&b products. Is it possible or am I reaching?

Post subject: Re: preservatives
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:23 am 

"All B&B products" is a HUGE hurdle to get over with a single product.
You are probably going to have to resign yourself to a compromise.
If there was one perfect preservative that work on all nasties in all products, then the entire cosmetic world, both handmade and corporate, would use it and the others would cease to exist from lack of sales.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:37 am 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:10 pm 

I saw that, it is what prompted my question. I have since done a little more research online and according to the mfg website of optiphen and according to that regular optiphen does cover mold, bacteria, and yeast. According to the sticky posted it only covers yeast. Dont know

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:31 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:14 am 

Would it be safe to say that optiphen nd would be better suited for applications such as lotions, creams, and scrubs. I really do not have extra funds to purchace tons of things that are moot?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:10 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:22 pm 

Ok what exactly is non ionic?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:28 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:00 pm 

Well it's official, the more I try to understand this the more confused I become..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:44 pm 

Cationic polymers. http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2 ... niums.html
quaternary compounds http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/s ... -date=true

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:57 am 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:37 am 

Just want to share the email from the support staff at Brambleberry....
##- Please type your reply above this line -##Your request (#32223) has been updated. Reply to this email or click the link below:https://brambleberry.zendesk.com/hc/requests/32223Carla (Bramble Berry Support)Aug 06 07:52 AMYou're more than welcome and, yes, you've got it exactly, right!Cgawlik77Aug 05 07:17 PMOk so I just want to say first off you are entirely more helpful than ANY of the forums I am on.. Thank you so much for that. I have people wanting the products that I am coming up with and even though I am not selling them as if yet I just dontwant anyone having any issues with my stuff.. So as I understand it so far... lotions which are more water than oil, use the nd version, and creams and scrubs im good with regular optiphen. ?. Sweet that makes things more clear. I look forward to doing lots more business with you Thanks a bunchSent from Samsung tablet"Carla (Bramble Berry! )" <help@brambleberry.zendesk.com> wrote:Carla (Bramble Berry Support)Aug 05 07:48 AMThanks for the email!No worries! You are definitely not a bother! =) I totally confused you with my information, anyway, so let's try this again. =)From the sounds of your recipe, I would wager that whichever base you have more of (water vs oil) would be the base of your scrub. Since you're using Castile base, water and oil, I'm assuming you'll have a larger quantity of oils than water so I would use regular Optiphen. Unfortunately, I had the two swapped in my message below so, of course, you would be confused. So sorry about that!Generally, either would work, if it would blend in. For example, if you have a largely water based recipe and try using the oil based preservative, it's not going to blend in. Same goes for the other way around. They're both going to protect and preserve just the same, however, they may not blend the same.I hope that helps clear up some of the confusion! Let me know if you have any further questions!Carla =)Cgawlik77Aug 04 06:29 PMThank you so much, I can read and read and read, but still not come up with the answers. So it looks like I will be placing yet another order.. I just wish I could get all my ducks lined up at once.. geez. But what about my scrubs? As they are both water and oil.. Basically I have come up with a formula using a castile base, water and oil that works awesome. Which would be best for it.optiphen or optiphen nd?Trying not to be bothersome Sent from Samsung tablet"Carla (Bramble Berry! )" <help@brambleberry.zendesk.com> wrote:Carla (Bramble Berry Support)Aug 04 11:13 AMThanks for the email!I totally understand your confusion, for sure! We recently did a post on all things preservative. Be sure to check it out for more information on preservatives:http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/talk-it-out-tuesday-preservatives/In general, Optiphen and Optiphen ND are both paraben and formaldehyde free and, in fact, are broad spectrum preservatives. For oil based recipes, you'll want to use Optiphen ND and for water based, Optiphen.Please let me know if you have any further questions!Carla =)Cgawlik77Aug 03 05:10 PMNot sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes anyway. Much of my products are coming from you at Brambleberry, but I am very confused about preservatives. I have been using optiphen in my scrubs, lotions, and what not. One forum I am a member of has a "sticky" on the subject but it states that optiphen only protects against bacteria, not mold or yeast. I want a preservative that is non paraben and not a formaldehyde donor, but is broad spectrum.. protects against bacteria, mold, and yeast.. but also needs to work with water and oils and sugars.. I sure hope this makes since. Please help. I dont have extra funds laying around to keep buying products that are moot.Thank youCasieThis email is a service from Bramble Berry Support. Delivered by Zendesk.Message-Id:WYVACJVM_53e2414c86d50_63f3fdbd6cb332818340aa_sprut

Certainly hope my copy and paste isn't to confusing