[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Would My Insect Spray Need A Preservative

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:39 pm 

Hi gang! Just wanted to double-check before I make a tester bottle of bug spray. I've been researching and developing my recipe for the past few weeks. For ex, if I use 2 oz each of witch hazel (contains 14% alcohol) and distilled H2O, 1-2 T castor oil, and approx 10 ml EOs, would I need a preservative? I've seen several natural bug spray recipes and products online that contain dist. H2O but no preservative. I thought one was needed when using H2O except in soap. If I do need one, I'll probably opt to use full WH and no H2O. Thanks in advance! :)

"....with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26
http://www.tousheabodyboutique.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:09 pm 

Any product with water based ingredients will need a preservative. Witch hazel does have 14% alcohol, but once added to other ingredients, it's no longer at 14%. The castor oil will not emulsify your ingredients. Will this be shaken each time before use? I hope that you are not selling this as a bug spray, as you can get into serious problems with the FDA. I would also go by weight instead of teaspoons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:08 pm 

Thank you Irena, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure. I know it will have to be shaken before spraying and I have to be careful w/naming it. I was shocked @ how many prods I saw using the word repellant in the name. :shock: I didn't want to use a full oil based spray, thought it might feel too heavy. I do weigh ingreds w/a larger batch but since I'm only making a sm bottle to test, just using ml as I saw on soapqueen. Will leave H2O out. Thank you so much again Irena! :D Any other suggestions are always greatly appreciated.

"....with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26
http://www.tousheabodyboutique.com

Last edited by ShaShea on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:12 pm 

You're welcome. Be careful with products for sale that need to be shaken each time. Some customers do not read directions.