[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Bath Bomb HELP!!!!

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bath Bomb HELP!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:43 pm 

Hey everyone!!! It's been a little while since I've been on, I hope everyone is well!! I myself have had a rough time as of late, but my sweet escape since I started doing this has been to make toiletries (even bought the melt and pour sampler from BB, so expect some questions on THAT, guys lol :oops: ) Anyway, making my bombs hasn't been such a sweet escape lately...I made a batch of my "Pink Flamingo" about a month ago, and was SO excited to see one of them actually FLOAT, spin, and bob around the surface of the water!!!! I thought I'd cracked the code!! That's what I want my bombs to do...I want them to float while putting on a bit of a show (I use body safe vibrant colorants and edible lusters at times to get that effect), while also moisturizing the bath. Well, as I said, I tested one out of that batch a month ago and she did her thing...now here is my problem. I live in the Smokies, in TN, and it's considered a "rainforest' climate. I just tested the rest of the batch, curious because I made a batch of beach type bombs using the exact same recipe, only adding some arame seaweed. Not a ONE out of them floated. Just sunk right to the bottom. Talk about a bummer. Also, the beachy ones cracked and fell apart. I'm wondering if this is because I changed the temp in my workspace. I changed THIS because all the sudden it was super humid here. I'm having quite a hard time here, because not only am I at a loss about what temp to work in for my bombs, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to make one of my other products, my bubble bars, in my freezing workspace...a normal, basic swirl recipe I use literally cracked away from the other colors, and I stayed up ALL night molding them to keep them together....this is crazy to me...I took a break for a month, went to Pittsburgh due to a tragedy in my family, gave away my entire stock for Mothers Day thinking I could just remake everything, and here I sit with all these new problems. I'm really thinking it's due to the temp....as that's the only thing that's changed! So sorry for the long post....but my ducks were in a row and now they aren't. I live in a tourist town and was really hoping to recoup some of what I put into this business. Thank you all for any suggestions and above all your patience with me!! Much love! Jaime :? :) :cry:

Post subject: Re: Bath Bomb HELP!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:25 am 

Anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:16 am 

Sorry, I don't do bath bombs so have no advice for you, but I can empathize with your frustration. There is a lot of trial and error at the beginning and just when you think you've got it all figured out, something comes along to take you down a notch! :lol: Maybe try some tweaks on a few small batches and see if you can get them back to what you want.

Don't most bath bombs sink rather than float? Why not just make regular ones for your business while you continue to work on perfecting your special floating recipe?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:34 pm 

I've tried bath fizzies, but don't make them except for fun. However, I can recommend Holly Port's Book Make it Fizz. I bought it, and it has helped me make better ones!

What's your recipe?

Like us: http://www.facebook.com/AvitalsApiaries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:44 pm 

I'm not sure about temp affecting bath bombes, but I'm sure humidity does. All the moisture in the air requires you to use less witch hazel, I think. I don't know if it can make them go flat or not. Also, if I understand correctly, you are saying you made a batch of bombes, tested one after you made them, which floated and fizzed fine, waited a month, tested the rest from that batch, and they sank? It could be because you waited a month before using your bombes, and if I'm correct, they can go flat if you don't use them soon after making them. I think Anne-Marie suggested to use them within 2 weeks of making them in one of her SoapQueen TV episodes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:34 am 

Thanks for the feedback ladies...I understand what you'e saying, Olivia, and yep, that's what happened...but I have orders to fill, and I know that when I ordered from the biggest co. in the world, they STILL always float, spin, whirl, and twirl. I WILL say that they were left in open are, although in a cold, humidity free room right off of my studio...they weren't packaged, but neither are you know who's, LOL. (that's actually one of the things I find a bit disturbing about the actual store, I think it's unsanitary) I don't know...to answer your question Lesli, I have a bunch of different ones, but they all share the same core recipe, although sometimes I add dead sea salts to the beachy type ones, and thats the 1:2 ratio of baking soda and citric. I am SO confused!!! But I'll get to the bottom of it...I'm really excited, because today my D&C red 33 and F,D&C red 4 will be here...MAN they're expensive for 1/2 oz....and I'd love to have them all....we can dream, can't we? I'll let you guys know how it goes, and I totally appreciate the feedback!!! ttys! Jaime...oh! Almost forgot...my Facebook page is now set up if you'd like to take a little look see...it's at Bomb Diggy Bath& Beauty...I'd love your input on the pics and videos!! Thanks a bunch!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:45 pm 

I'm beginning to think that bath bombes are a very hard art and science to master...! Maybe temp and humidity really has a lot to do with it. Sorry if I didn't help much, but I am out of ideas of what the problem could be.

That is awesome that you got a Facebook page set up, though!

Thanks for posting that book, Mellifera, it sounds helpful!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:22 am 

Sorry can't help you in this because i don't take bath bomb so no idea about that.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:06 pm 

Thank you all so much...I think that's what I'm gonna do, @goodcleanfun, those bombs I make I have NO problem with...@melisera, I DID buy Holly Ports book, what freaked me out about the recipes was there was borax in them...I was under the impression that it was a bit abrasive on the skin....could be wrong, but after trying to do everything down to the letter, I don't want to take a chance...although, she seems to be doing great for herself! A book!! How cool would that be?! Thanks you all for your advice!! @StokedTopHat, any luck with the kaolin? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:48 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:12 pm 

I THINK people add borax to bath bombs to soften the water and if not then really why?? what would the benefits be??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:45 pm 

Yes, what would the benefits be? It seems like the large amount of baking soda that makes up the bath bombe would soften the water plenty. Is it supposed to help the bath fizzy pack and bind together better? I think I would rather just avoid it since there is some thought that it could be irritating. Of course, baking soda is thought to be irritating sometimes, too...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:34 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:13 pm 

Interesting! I may do a some more research on it and try it in a bath bombe.

Thanks for the info, Rosie! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:31 pm 

You're welcome Olivia and it was interesting to look up I may have to try it now too! :mrgreen: