[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - First lotion bars

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First lotion bars
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 pm 

So, I finally made my first lotion bars, just for me. I made two, a two-ounce and a half-ounce (these are in twist-up tubes).

I started with the recipe for "Lotion Bar Love" on the Soap Queen blog as a jumping-off point. My version is:

20% beeswax
5% kuikui nut oil
30% sweet almond
25% shea
20% cocoa butter

One question I have, how soon is it good to use? I'm pretty sure I don't have to wait four weeks like you do for soap (at least I hope not!), but I used the smaller one pretty much as soon as it was cool, and it felt a bit greasy. I'm making myself wait 24 hours before I try again.

Oh, and I did use a teeny bit of Liquipar Optima (just in case!) and scented with Sweet Orange EO. I was in the hospital a few years ago and got sent home with some orange-scented lotion. When I decided to learn to make lotions, that orange scent was the first thing that popped into my head. :D

Also, I used Irena's hint about standing the containers in a container of raw rice. I had bought a big bag (okay, a HUGE bag) of rice, and a couple of different things to put it in to hold lotion bottles. Last night, since I just had the two, I used those teeny little foil loaf pans. I bought a stack of five for less than a couple of dollars (and I didn't even take them apart). I filled the pan full of rice, set the tubes inside, and poured away. I got a bit sloppy on the smaller tube, so I had lotion spill-over and a wad of rice stuck to the side, but I just wiped that off. When the tubes were cooled, I poured the rice back into its little ziploc bag for next time.

So, thanks for another great idea, Irena! :D

Anita

Post subject: Re: First lotion bars
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:29 pm 

I'm glad to see that worked well for you. You can use the lotion bar right away, but I wait because some ingredients, like cocoa butter take up to a couple of days to completely "crystalize" or mesh with the rest of the ingredients. My formula with cocoa butter actually gets harder after a couple of days. Shea and cocoa butter can make them feel a bit greasy.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:40 pm 

I use mine right away and use liquid Shea with cocoa butter wafers and haven't had gritiness yet. Maybe the difference is i use liquid Shea? I hope this helps :)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:16 pm 

Alas, my bars are still greasy. It actually works pretty well if I apply some and then go straight to bed. But if I want to do anything else once I've used the lotion, not so much.

I think I may drop the cocoa butter to 5%. The question is, should I add the 15% left over to the shea butter? Do I just have too much butter, period?

Would I be better to adjust this to a one-third/one-third/one third ratio? Right now I have 20% beeswax, 35% oils, and 45% butters. Would it be better, or at least not as greasy, with a closer to equal amounts formula?

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Anita

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:04 pm 

I give them a day or two to set up.
If you want to lessen the grease feel, add corn starch or DryFlo. I don't remember the proportions, but it does help.

Like us: http://www.facebook.com/AvitalsApiaries

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:16 pm 

sometimes when mine seem too oily, i wait another day for them to finish curing or whatever you call it when lotion bars are hardening and they actually seem less greasy but if that doesn't work, put less oils and if that doesn't work call it a massage bar and you're good! I would keep the same amount of everything else and just try less oils to start though. Try that and we'll go from there?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:03 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:29 am 

I'm glad someone said it may take more than one day to set up. I was about to check my bars and start over. I made my bars with 1 part each-- beeswax, shea butter or cocoa butter and cocnut oil. And then added essential oil or fragrance. It hasn't set at 12 hours. Any helpful ideas? Maybe add more beeswax?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm 

Waxes can take up to three days before they reach the final texture. I would wait longer then 12 hours.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:27 am 

Thank you! I was so unsure. It is my first time making them and I didn't want to start over.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:25 pm 

I think I need to add more beeswax. It's been three days and they still are not solid. So I'm going to shred more wax, remelt the bars and add it to the mixture. Maybe it's the wax? I bought pure beeswax from hobby lobby.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 pm 

Ha! So I have finally gotten around to trying lotion bars again. This time I added 2.7 oz more beeswax to each scent. Not really reading my recipe the first time I didn't add enough (I am thinking). I had a little bit left of from pouring into the molds and I tried one and it worked! So, I am hoping this works! That can be one more thing checked off my list to do and succeed at!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:59 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:02 am 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 am