[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Citronella

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Citronella
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:59 am 

I know citronella is often used in candles for keeping bugs away. I bought some to use in CP soap as a dog shampoo bar. I like the smell of citronella candles, but the citronella soap is nasty! I don't think I'd wash my own dog with it. Nothing went wrong with the process, it just seems to me that soap and citronella don't go together. I have several more ounces of the citronella EO. If I use it again, what do you all suggest I use to make the soap smell better?

Post subject: Re: Citronella
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:36 am 

Try mixing it with some eucalyptus and use the blend in a small % in soap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:59 am 

Mixing it with anything will work. I use it for my dogs, and the smell is fine. You can try lavender, citronella, cedarwood, even a tad of lemon or litsea will cut it and make the scent better. Just remember to watch your percentage of total eo's.

Tammy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:51 pm 

I haven't tried these combinations myself yet but was just reading these bug repellent EO recipes this afternoon (going camping in a couple weeks and DREADING the skeeters). The blends look like they smell great and they all use citronella.

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/fragr ... blends.htm

PS: I have a citronella (just citronella) natural bug repellant that I bought at the drugstore, and sadly, it hardly did a thing to repel the mosquitoes (we're in Alberta). So I'm hoping that additional EOs will help me come up with a more effective alternative.

HTH,
Karri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:56 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:04 am 

I'm researching anti-mozzie stuff, as someone requested a citronella shampoo from me. From what I've read so far, citronella works on some species really well and on others not so much. It seems like pine oil and eucalyptus are pretty good on the ones citronella isn't so great on though!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:25 am 

Thanks Irena and Magia! That's good info ... the mosquitoes are really bad some days this summer because we've had so much precipitation over the past year.

I always hear that catnip EO works really well but the teeny tiny issue I have with that one is, uh, attracting wild cats! LOL. We're going camping in Montana in a couple weeks ... I have to come up with something or I'll be living in the trailer the entire time ...

Karri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:31 am 

See... now I'd love to see a wild cat... alas there aren't so many in the UK...!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:37 am 

Well they're gorgeous ... from the view of your car :)

They've been known to get a little agressive in the west/midwest so I'd rather *not* attract one! LOL.
Karri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:01 pm 

The amount of catnip used is such a low concentration (1% gives you the 10x better than DEET effectl) that I doubt it would attract a wild cat. Plus, if you use it in a mix, the other scents will really alter the cat nip scent, so problem gone or at least greatly reduced in my estimation.
You can try mixing 6% Geranium or Rose Geranium, 2% Citronella and 1% Catnip, in a base oil of your choice, or it can be put in 4oz of Vodka plus 8oz of water, or in 4 oz of unscented cream/lotion.

Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:21 pm 

Then if the big cat does come prowling, you can dig into the leftover vodka to help you cope!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:55 pm 

For repelling moths from wool, spinners and weavers traditionally used pennyroyal eo. It's a type of mint and I think it smells really nice. I've made some pennyroyal soap. I added a bit of peppermint and got a really nice result. Pennyroyal is a bit hard to find because it has long been rumored to cause spontaneous abortion. Studies have found this to be incorrect (don't have a citation). If I were going to wash with a soap to repel bugs I'd use pennyroyal rather than citronella. I make the citronella because it's better known as an insect repellent in this country.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:02 pm 

See if you can find IFRA guidelines online. That would give you a better idea if/when to use pennyroyal safely. I would not use it in soap, but that's me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:31 pm 

Actually the HERB pennyroyal is a known and proven (and considered safe) abortificant, which cause uterine contractions. However, the essential oil of pennyroyal is a deadly poison when taken internally. In fact, several women have died very painful deaths from ingesting just very small amounts of this eo, trying to get the abortive effect that the herb offers.

Pennyroyal is a known skin irritant. If you want a blend to repel insects, it should be diffused, not applied topically. Also, pennyroyal is not recommended for use in aromatherapy either.

Tammy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:30 pm 

Tammy - you are my new EO Sage! LOL. Such good information. Thank you!!!

Karri