Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: chamomile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:40 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:14 pm
Posts: 345
I wanted to make a soap with Chamomile in it, but in my search, have found that it is VERY VERY expensive. Is there a good Chamomile EO that won't break the bank? Or how hard is it to make your own? And how would you do that. Could what you make yourself be used in MP soaps?

_________________
JKM Creative Enterprises
http://www.jkm-creative.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:28 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 pm
Posts: 22197
Location: Mistress Of Lather
Yes, it's very expensive. BrambleBerry has both EO or FO. The FO is very good. http://www.brambleberry.com/Chamomile-C ... P3363.aspx

_________________
Irena
Closed minds are like faulty parachutes; they refuse to open.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:53 am 

Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:08 am
Posts: 207
I use the FO from BB, and agree with Soapbuddy, it is very good.

edited to add: a friend of mine has an herb still and I asked him about making Chamomile EO for me. He laughed at me and said "I'll get right on it and you'll have enough EO to put in soap in about 3 years." :shock: I guess that's why it's so expensive


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 am 

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:00 am
Posts: 332
Location: WI
Could you make your soap with chamomile infused oil?
Infusing your own oils isn't too hard.

_________________
Please visit my blog http://dialmformommy.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:05 am 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 pm
Posts: 1598
Location: Sum beach, somewhere
If you want the healing properties you will need to use the EO or an infusion of the flower/herb. To make a strong infusion use 1/4 cup dried herb to 1 cup boiling water. Just pour the hot water over the herb and cover -so that while it steeps so that it holds in the vapors. Leave sit for at least 30 min, strain and use with two days.
If you want to infuse oil you can make a home version of an essential oil by putting the herb (about 3 cups of herb to 1/2 cup of oil) into a glass jar and slightly bruising the herb in order to initiate the infusion. Then (barely) cover the herb with the carrier oil of choice. You may need slightly more or less than the 1/2 cup, but use the least amount that you can get by with, so that you will have a strong, essential oil type of infusion. Cap your jar, shake it for minute or two, then put it away in a dark, cool place. Take it out once a day to shake it for 1-2 minutes, then put it back. Do this for a month, then strain the solids from the oil. Throw away the solids and bottle the oil. The oil will remain good for a year to year and a half if it is stored out of the sun and in a cool place. Because of its strength you can further dilute this infusion with more carrier oil and still retain its beneficial properties.
If you want a fast infusion method, heat the oil to where it is hot (do not let it get to the boiling stage) and follow the steeping directions for water. Make sure to cover it while it steeps and throw out the solids. They are not good for reuse.
Allspice, cloves, geranium, ginger, grapefruit (the peel), lavender, orange (the peel), rose (petals only) rosemary (the plant portion), thyme and others are all very good when infused. Have fun!

_________________
Remember, it's not just that we weather the storm, but how we dance in the rain.

Tammy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:13 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 pm
Posts: 22197
Location: Mistress Of Lather
Soap is a wash off product. I doubt you would get much therapeutic properties from infused chamomile. Why not use the infused oil in some balm or a lotion bar?

_________________
Irena
Closed minds are like faulty parachutes; they refuse to open.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:26 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 pm
Posts: 1598
Location: Sum beach, somewhere
Tis true, you would get better results from using herbs and EO's in lotions and balms, but, even with a wash off product, you get some of the benefits, especially from the ones with anti-itch and soothing properties. :D

_________________
Remember, it's not just that we weather the storm, but how we dance in the rain.

Tammy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:46 pm 

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:12 pm
Posts: 52
Agreed!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:39 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:14 pm
Posts: 345
LavenderLady wrote:
If you want the healing properties you will need to use the EO or an infusion of the flower/herb. To make a strong infusion use 1/4 cup dried herb to 1 cup boiling water. Just pour the hot water over the herb and cover -so that while it steeps so that it holds in the vapors. Leave sit for at least 30 min, strain and use with two days.
If you want to infuse oil you can make a home version of an essential oil by putting the herb (about 3 cups of herb to 1/2 cup of oil) into a glass jar and slightly bruising the herb in order to initiate the infusion. Then (barely) cover the herb with the carrier oil of choice. You may need slightly more or less than the 1/2 cup, but use the least amount that you can get by with, so that you will have a strong, essential oil type of infusion. Cap your jar, shake it for minute or two, then put it away in a dark, cool place. Take it out once a day to shake it for 1-2 minutes, then put it back. Do this for a month, then strain the solids from the oil. Throw away the solids and bottle the oil. The oil will remain good for a year to year and a half if it is stored out of the sun and in a cool place. Because of its strength you can further dilute this infusion with more carrier oil and still retain its beneficial properties.
If you want a fast infusion method, heat the oil to where it is hot (do not let it get to the boiling stage) and follow the steeping directions for water. Make sure to cover it while it steeps and throw out the solids. They are not good for reuse.
Allspice, cloves, geranium, ginger, grapefruit (the peel), lavender, orange (the peel), rose (petals only) rosemary (the plant portion), thyme and others are all very good when infused. Have fun!

WoW! Thank you Lavendar Lady!
This is perfect. Now to find where I can purchase the herb.. :lol:

_________________
JKM Creative Enterprises
http://www.jkm-creative.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 pm
Posts: 22197
Location: Mistress Of Lather
I get my chamomile flowers from SF Herb Co. http://www.sfherb.com/

_________________
Irena
Closed minds are like faulty parachutes; they refuse to open.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:14 pm
Posts: 345
soapbuddy wrote:
I get my chamomile flowers from SF Herb Co. http://www.sfherb.com/

:0) Thank you SB!
As always... a true helper in this forum. They even have my buckwheat hulls!

_________________
JKM Creative Enterprises
http://www.jkm-creative.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:05 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 pm
Posts: 22197
Location: Mistress Of Lather
jkmcreative wrote:
soapbuddy wrote:
I get my chamomile flowers from SF Herb Co. http://www.sfherb.com/

:0) Thank you SB!
As always... a true helper in this forum. They even have my buckwheat hulls!

You're welcome.

_________________
Irena
Closed minds are like faulty parachutes; they refuse to open.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:59 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 pm
Posts: 1598
Location: Sum beach, somewhere
yvw, I love anything to do with herbs!
While I grow and dehydrate my chamomile, they can be purchased at mountainrose.com and organiccreations.com and I am pretty sure BB has them too! Good luck! :D

_________________
Remember, it's not just that we weather the storm, but how we dance in the rain.

Tammy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:59 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:28 am
Posts: 46
I also make Chamomile soap with the oil made from fresh pounded and ground chamomile flowers and leave and Olive oil, the distilled water infusion, and I dry my leaves and flowers, and grind them into a powder.
When making my batch I put 50%50 Distilled water and chamomile infusion, replace 1 oz of Olive oil with the chamomile oil, and 1/2 a teaspoon of chamomile powder at trace. Several months on and the smell is still devine. The soap is wonderful on the skin, and very calming to aggrivated skin.
Good luck with your soap, I just love chamomile, it's a wonderful fragrance. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: chamomile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 pm
Posts: 1598
Location: Sum beach, somewhere
BarbaraMay wrote:
I also make Chamomile soap with the oil made from fresh pounded and ground chamomile flowers and leave and Olive oil, the distilled water infusion, and I dry my leaves and flowers, and grind them into a powder.
When making my batch I put 50%50 Distilled water and chamomile infusion, replace 1 oz of Olive oil with the chamomile oil, and 1/2 a teaspoon of chamomile powder at trace. Several months on and the smell is still devine. The soap is wonderful on the skin, and very calming to aggrivated skin.
Good luck with your soap, I just love chamomile, it's a wonderful fragrance. :lol: :lol: :lol:


I have made powder this way too, but I have never used the powder or the flowers in soap. I already had plans to try the powder, but now I am wondering about the flowers. Do they turn color/discolor terribly? If so, about how long before they look bad? If they don't turn too much, how can that be expected to last? I love chamomile too and, even when I couldn't afford the EO, I had to have some type of it to put into my balms, lotions and potions! 8)

JKM, make sure you let us know what you end up doing and post some pictures! Good luck :D

_________________
Remember, it's not just that we weather the storm, but how we dance in the rain.

Tammy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.074s | 10 Queries | GZIP : Off ]