Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:42 am 

Hi! My name is Armi, I live in Hawaii and I'm new to M&P - I've been doing it for a little over 6 months now :D and recently decided to try my hand at lotions and lip balm. My question is - can you use flavor oils for M&P and lotions or are they good only for lip balm and massage oils? :oops: I recently bought BB's ginger peach and cucumber melon flavor oils for making lip balm and was thinking of making matching lotion and soap, (especially the ginger peach) but recently read under a different post that you can use some flavor oils for soapmaking but not all of them are okay. :? Because of the skyhigh shipping here to Hawaii and the fact that I make things mostly just for me right now, I was hoping that the flavor oils could do double-duty for the soap and lotion too. Can someone help me out? Thanks!
P.S. I also received 24 different 1/2 oz flavor oils from FNWL as a gift so I really need to know what to do with this stuff? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:09 am 

I know that company. they have some kewl stuff. you may want to try Bramble Berry. they are located in washington, as apposed to conneticut.

maybe the shipping would be better? not to mention they have great stuff, and the customer service is awesome :D

(thanks Adrienne 8) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:42 am 

Hi, dragonlady0627! :D I already buy most of my soapmaking stuff from Brambleberry (including their "like cold-process M&P soap" which I love to use because of the humidity here in the islands) and because there's only 1 soap-making supply store here in Hawaii, but this time I goofed and bought 2 of Brambleberry's flavor oils (the cucumber melon and ginger peach) which are only sold in 1 oz bottles. I thought that I could use a little for my lipgloss -I need only a few drops after all- and use the rest for soap & lotion? :oops: And then a friend bought me FNWL's flavor oil samplers thinking the same thing, but I read under another Teach Soap forum/post that I can't. Do you know if it's safe? :roll:

And I totally agree, Brambleberry's customer service is awesome!
(Thank you, Adrienne!):D

Armi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:22 am 

Aloha, kaka'hi'aka! I don't know about the flavor oils at all, but what Island are you on? ( If it's army it must be Oahu!)
I lived and had my business on The Big Island (Hawaii Island) for many years - still have my little shack outside of Hilo.
Welcome to the group!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 am 

I wouldn't do it. Flavor oils have a different makeup than fragrance oils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:13 pm 

Aloha to you too, Lauri of sgsoap! Yes, I do live on Oahu :lol: and my moniker is actually a play on my name Armi and the fact that I was a military brat. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Quote:
soapbuddy Posted:
I wouldn't do it. Flavor oils have a different makeup than fragrance oils.

Thank you for the advice, Soapbuddy. I guess I'll be making lots of lipglosses for the next couple of weeks and giving them away to my friends if they want them. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:47 pm 

You're welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:55 am 

I am not sure about FNWL's oils but our flavor oils are made from the same place as our fragrance oils and they actually are safe to use in soap. :) The only reason we may not recommend them is that they fade a bit quicker than fragrance oils (especially in CP soap). We also haven't tested them in soap to see how they behave. However, they are made from the same totally skin safe ingredients as our fragrance oils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:32 am 

The problem I see Bramble Momma, is that people will think all fragrance oils are safe to use in lip balms, which isn't the case. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:03 pm 

Oops, Thanks Soapbuddy, that is not what I meant to say. You are right, most fragrance oils are not to be used in lip balms.

However all of the BB flavor oils are safe for soap. The ingredients for these are much more strict and if it is safe to eat, it will be safe for the skin. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:20 am 

:D Ooh, cool! Thank you for the info, Bramble Momma! I know that certain ingredients aren't lipsafe (like some micas/pigments), but I wasn't sure whether your BB flavor oils could also be used for soaps although the fragrance is indeed weaker. I'm going to check with FNWL whether their flavor oils are also safe to use for soap, otherwise I can just experiment on making lipglosses/lipbalms. I ordered lots of good stuff from BB so I'm looking forward to making soaps and lipbalm this weekend, eventhough I forgot to order lipbalm tubes or lip pots. :roll: But it's great to know that I can use the flavor oils for soap if I want to. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:24 am 

P.S. And I understand that only lipsafe fragrances or flavor oils can be used for lipbalms or lipglosses, but not all fragrances are lipsafe just like only certain micas are considered lipsafe. :D