[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Pumpkin FOs

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pumpkin FOs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:59 pm 

Hi Folks:

I am looking for pumpkin pie FOs that do not accelerate and do not greatly discolor.

I am having trouble with my pumpkin soap and am eager to hear of your experiences / recommendations.

Many thanks!

BubbleBath

Post subject: Re: Pumpkin FOs
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:26 pm 

Good luck with that - all the ones I have seen ,read about or used, have vanillin in them - which discolors. I used pumpkin puree in mine, so the discoloration does not affect me - it still looks a lovely orangey brown.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:48 am 

FWIW, pumpkin has almost no aroma after it's cooked. The flesh is mostly water, fiber, and beta carotene. Most pumpkin pie filling is actually squash, and it's pretty hard to tell a pumpkin pie from a sweet potato pie if they're spiced the same. Most pumpkin beers include no pumpkin - just the spice.

Point being, focusing on the spices might be the route to success. Ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:14 am 

Brambleberry sells something called Vanilla Color Stabilizer, which is supposed to help keep soap from turning brown. BB also has an informative video on the subject of soap turning brown.