[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Essential Oil for homemade toothpaste?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:52 pm 

Essential oils need a dilutant or a dispersant. Clay will not do this. I know there are articles on the net about essential oils having antimicrobial properties, but it's simply not enough to preserve a product. Think of what happens in streams or rivers that have water and clay. Over time, germs, mold and bacteria will form. Just because it looks fine to the naked eye doesn't mean that it is. By the time you see anything, there are already millions of germ colonies in the product. There is some "greenwashing" going on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:33 pm 

Huh. You think she was, like, lying? Maybe, but she sounded pretty honest. She cant use preservatives & not put it on the label- it's against the law. I agree with you tho on the carrier oil. I'm going to use a 1:1 ratio of EO to carrier oil.

You were the one that warned me off the baking soda based toothpaste id been making as too abrasive, SB- my dentist said you were right. Hope this new formula meets your approval. I ordered food-grade bentonite clay & xylitol off Amazon. Already have salt, EOs, & distilled water.

I think I'll mix the EOs : carrier oil mixture into the salt, like making bath salts, then mix the salts into the clay n add water to hydrate the clay into a paste, sweetening w/ xylitol to taste. Ill let you know how it works out, SB, unless you have objections/suggestions pls let me know, but no way I'm putting nasty chemical preservatives in my nice natural toothpaste. And I don't think Earthpaste does either. Seriously. But using a carrier for EOs is a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:53 pm 

Some people truly do not know, so it's possible that she believes hers to be true.
I make a solid tooth soap that I brush my teeth with and get good dental checkups. It doesn't have coconut as that can taste soapy. It has a little bit of mint for taste.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:11 pm 

I read somewhere in the course of research that glycerin is bad for teeth.

Do you care to share your toothpaste soap recipe?

I tried brushing my teeth with some dried-up liquid soap I had poured into an open-mouthed red plastic cup. It tasted terrible. Really awful. Not in any kind of hurry to repeat that experience. Yuck. Now I know what they mean by washing one's mouth out with soap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:48 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:54 am 

Of course I understand. No worries. You always say that when I ask for specifics. I should've known.

Using actual soap in the mouth is what gets me. You must have a pretty interesting recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 am 

Well, I finally made the toothpaste so I thought I would update this post.

It works GREAT! I love brushing my teeth again without having to buy Earthpaste off Amazon every three weeks...

So I just wanted to share the recipe in case anybody ever wants to make their own Earthpaste. Mixing clay'n salt with distilled water into a paste and sweetening it w/ xylitol crystals is pretty easy.

I seriously don't think microbes can grow in there with all that salt. Be sure to buy food grade bentonite clay, $13 for $2 lbs on Amazon, or you can use any clay, but bentonite is a particularly good choice for a myriad of health reasons. I think I used 4 spoonfuls of clay to one spoonful of vitamix-dusted pink Himalayan sea salt & 2 spoonfuls of xylitol I bought @ Whole Foods (NOW brand, food-grade, organic), then add water to the consistency of a paste (in a mixing bowl, with your hands). This is when I add the EOs. I use the same EOs on the Earthpaste website, plus myrrh. Best eos for teeth are tea tree (in all EP tootpastes except the lemon flavor), myrhh, lemon, lime, clove bud believe it or not, peppermint,...theres about 5 or 7 eos that are great for your teeth, just google them. So ten drops of EOs mixed with 12 drops of olive oil or whatever edible oil as a carrier, then mix all that up w ur hands in a mixing bowl real good n load into small mason jars. EP uses menthol crystals too, which I want to get, but the tea tree gives your mouth a nice sensation.

Remember, the salt serves a dual purpose as both antibacterial/fungal agent AND I think the salt is an abrasant, whereas clay is not. So keep the salt to a minimum or you might as well be using baking soda toothpaste, a well-known no-no for daily brushing. Also, too much salt makes it taste yucky n hard to gargle. But salt's great for yer mouth- sick-throated people gargle w warm saltwater all the time, it's common knowledge, a well-known home remedy...

Ok I'm tired of typing now...

For mouthwash, using a 1 quart mason jar make a volcano w baking soda n apple cider vinegar diluted with plenty of water n sweeten with xylitol and appropriate EOs mixed with a carrier. Use tea tree EO and menthol crystals if you want. Aloe vera juice is great for your teeth but if you add that then you have to add a preservative unless you refrigerate it n who wants to gargle w 38 degree mouthwash they have to run downstairs to fetch from the fridge before bed. It tastes fine with just the ac vineger, baking soda, xylitol, n water. When in doubt, add more xylitol sweetener- it says right on the back of the package it's good for cavities.

I want to get some activated charcoal n make a toothpaste out of that too using the clay, to be used a couple times a month. AC is an abrasant, but it's great for your teeth mouth n gums, plus whitening.