[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - A natural vanilla for CP

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A natural vanilla for CP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:54 am 

Vanilla is one scent I would love to use, but I don't see any way of getting a natural vanilla that will stick in CP, short of say, rebatch. Even Zum uses a synthetic vanilla, and they are otherwise all EOs. Any experience out there that you're willing to share? There are times when I'd really love to have that note!

Like us: http://www.facebook.com/AvitalsApiaries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:14 am 

While a folded vanilla oleoresin isn't very strong in CP (barely there, sometimes not there at all), you could use it in a rebatch. I remember The Sage did an experiment using their 20 fold vanilla oleoresin. They used it at 1%, 2% & 3% in different CP batches and at 3% you could kind of smell it when the soap was being used, but they said barely. You could use vanilla absolute, but that would be a very expensive experiment to see if it actually sticks. Or, if you don't need a straight vanilla, Peru Balsam has a vanilla-like scent.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:10 am 

Yeah, I read that Sage experiment, and that's when I figured I wouldn't waste my money. On the other hand, at least one online soapmaker uses all natural, and says she uses vanilla absolute and resins for her vanilla scent. so maybe there's a way to add at least a subtle bottom note.

I've noticed that when people buy, the look of a soap attracts them, but the first thing they do is put it to their nose, so it's really important to have an attractive scent! I so want vanilla in my lineup! I think I'll try the Peru Balsam...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:53 am 

I agree about the scent. I can work and work at the appearance of my soaps: fancy swirls, unique tops, designs to mimic the fragrance, special wrappings but the comments always come back to the scent of it. Rarely one of my friends will choose a soap by the color of the bathroom or kitchen. Hope you can come up with an option that works for you. I have just started using a few more EO in my soaps, but doubt I would give up some of the FO I have fallen in love with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:29 am 

Benzoin essential oil (another oleoresin, I believe) is all-natural, and smells VERY much like vanilla, and seems to stick pretty well in CP soap, from what I've read (reviews on another site). I've got some but haven't tried it yet, so am not sure if it discolors or causes any other issues.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:49 am 

Benzoin is a known sensitizer. If you decide to use it, please list it in your ingredients. It makes me itch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:15 am 

That's why I avoided benzoin. I guess I could try it and list, but maybe peru balsam first.