[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - newbie ?? measuring & stiring utensil which are prefered ?

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:52 am 

I have saw video's and read books and there seems to be a wide preference in material preference for measuring and stiring product. Also I would like to know for a stick blender do most prefer one with a steel or metal type neck or is a plastic neck . I was planning on going to BBB to buy some utensils today as I have a ton of coupons and they even take expired coupons. So I wouldn't have to spend a lot to buy some of the things I need.

Thank You for all your help:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:10 am 

I prefer a stainless steel shaft on my stick blender, as the plastic would melt if I make hot liquid soap. I like silicone spatulas, stainless steel whisk and plastic bowl and pitcher. Pyrex can shatter over time with lye used in it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:17 am 

Thank you Soapbuddy :) iappreciate your advice... I have saw so many people use pyrex and read the same thing you just told me about shattering. Then I have saw many people use plastic so it gets a bit confusing considering how important & serious the safety measures should be taken. I only want to buy utensils once , so I want to be sure I am making the right decision the first time.

TY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:26 am 

You're welcome. There are videos on youtube about pyrex shattering. I also had pyrex full of lye water shatter in the sink. Lye etches the glass creating microtears. Over time those microtears grow, make the glass weaker and one day it will just shatter. I know there are people out there that disagree with me about this subject and say their pyrex is still fine. I am simply not willing to take that chance again. You can use heavy duty plastic pitcher for your lye water or a stainless steel pitcher. Just make sure that it's true stainless steel. Aluminum and lye create obnoxious fumes and also turn the aluminum black.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:41 am 

Yes ! I have also heard this of metal that it smells like rotten eggs, very sulfurish obnoxious smelling & to make sure it is true stainless steel . I was just thinking of buying. Stainless steel mc, Stainless steel mix sp, plastic pitcher w/lid and 2 lb plastic bowl w/handle and 2 silicone spatulas? hand held blender . Can u think of anything else?,,, I have goggles and apron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:58 am 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:31 pm 

yes of Course ! ... I do already own those items. I was just going to use an old long sleeve shirt jeans, apron and shoes. I already own all of these except long gloves. So I will need to get some long gloves.

I am so excited I just came home to a box on the porch and it was my books from Amazon ... Everything Soapmaking, Milk Soapmaking, and Soap making . I am going to start with the Everything Soapmaking book first , OH how I am sooooooooo EXCITED ! :):)

hoitylieu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:32 pm 

Alicia Grosso book is a good one. I have it from when I met Alicia in person in Arizona a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:34 pm 

I'd add in Anne-Marie's new book too! Even as an experienced soaper I find her book very handy, and plan to lend it to family so they can learn to make soap too! Here is a

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:56 am 

Don't forget a scale!

Best tip I ever got - put your scale in a large Ziploc bag. That will protect it from lye and oil spills.

Also, a set of stainless steel measuring spoons. Some FOs will chew up plastic measuring spoons.

You may find a better price on silicone spatulas at HomeGoods or Big Lots. They are SO useful - it might be a good idea to get some for soap and some for food.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:02 pm 

I'd get a nice 4oz pyrex measuring cup for fragrances, as measuring by weight rather than volume is preferred (spoons use volume and are also super inaccurate!). You can get spatulas, stainless steel pitchers, and plastic bowls from kitchen supply stores for greatly discounted prices. Even stick blenders! These stores are especially great if you order lots of stuff at once, because they usually have a minimum purchase surcharge otherwise. I use .

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:39 am 

I would also get a thermometer that is able to detect the temp at a distance example nubee it is an infrared thermometer and you can read them easy and safe .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:12 am 

I got my infrared thermometer from Amazon for $15 and it works great.

Yes Irena thank you for advice on not using glass for lye, i use stainless steel now.