[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
Teach Soap • View topic - Essential Oils advice please

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:28 am 

Using e/o only, any ideas on the best citrussy blend? Can I mix grapefruit with orange or lemon etc?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 am 

For what type of an application? Citrus oils tend to fade in soap. You can add a small amount of Patchouli, Litsea or Vetiver.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:53 am 

I prefer to use Lemongrass EO rather than citrus EOs. They can make the soap very very soft, the scent fades, and they can strip the oils from your skin. Look at all the household cleaners with orange oil in them!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:09 pm 

If you are using the blend in soap you do need to add an anchor as Irena stated. You can use a clay or any base note eo, litsea works well since it has a lemony scent.
You can use citrus eo's, even orange eo without it stripping your skin, just have a good recipe and use the proper amount of eo for your application. You certainly would never use the amounts they use to make a cleanser!
Remember that each eo has its own max use rate and that is different, depending upon the application (so a different number for soap than for lotion etc.)

I love grapefruit soap, it smells so clean and fresh! I make a "Flowering Grapefruit" and a "Sparkling Grapefruit" and they are both great sellers for me. So play around with what you have for a good blend!

Tammy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:22 am 

Ah sorry!! I should have said - for M&P soap. I have found in the past that citrussy smells fade, so I need to use an anchor with it then, thanks :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:18 pm 

Yes, the application makes a huge difference. If your eo fades in m&p you can still use an anchor but it needs to be an eo one since adding clay may throw off the balance of the m&p. The amount you can add is different too, check with your vendor as each base has a different load tolerance, depending on their recipe.

Tammy