[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Undefined variable: Array
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 77: Trying to access array offset on value of type null
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Teach Soap • View topic - Horror Story

Teach Soap

Soap Making Recipes, Tips and Tutorials
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Horror Story
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:02 pm 

I have to get this off my chest. A family member by marriage is a true believer in. and a pusher with a certain MLM scheme that sells EOs. Several months ago, her husband was diagnosed with a small spot of squamous cell carcinoma on his chest. The doctor recommended swift removal and had he done so, that would have been the end of it. Enter the wife. She mixed together a witch's brew of Brand X EOs and applied it directly to the cancer. Doctors are stupid, they don't know everything, but Brand X's EOs will cure the cancer. Wife applies her concoction twice a day for several weeks. It ate through his skin and he got a massive infection. Wife insists her concoction was "drawing out the cancer."

Husband finally had enough and went to see the surgeon to have it taken care of. On top of the infection, the cancer had spread over most of his chest, over his shoulder and down his back. On top of all that, the cancer ate through his collar bone, and it is untreatable. One major surgery and some skin grafts later, he gets another infection. Why? He allowed wife to "treat" him again with her EO concoction as recommended by the witch doctors at Brand X. She packed her "salve" into his open wounds and STILL insists it is "drawing out the cancer." He did take the prescribed antibiotics. Shortly afterward, he was diagnosed as terminal, and decided to the "natural" road of treatment. Take a wild guess what that meant.

Two weeks ago this man was taken to the hospital in a nearly insensate condition and in extreme pain with open draining wounds on his upper body. The tumors have gone wild. Mets all over the place, and, you guessed it, an infection featuring not one, but two bacteria, one of which is antibiotic resistant to pretty much everything. Wife is still pouring her EO concoction on him while he's dying in a hospital bed, and still believes the drainage means she is "drawing out the cancer." He's probably down to days left to live now, and not many. The tumors are so large now that they're breaking through his skin. If this man wasn't a consenting adult, his wife would be facing criminal charges. Imagine if this was a minor child. The hospital would have to report the treatment as abuse.

People, for the love of God, don't blindly believe what a multi-level-marketing company says about its products. Much as I despise government regulation, I'm beginning to wonder if EOs and the word "natural" need some government regulation. Horrible as this is, I can only pray it's an extreme case and not indicative of what is happening in the expanding world of self-described aromatherapists. Doctors (and licensed aromatherapists) really do know more than an MLM representative, and they actually do have your health and your best interests at heart. End of rant.

Post subject: Re: Horror Story
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:19 pm 

The FDA is starting to pay attention to medical claims with essential oils. This is the opening salvo:

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementAct ... 415809.htm

and

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementAct ... 416023.htm

I'm sorry to read about your family member. That ordeal sounds horrible for the entire family. Cancer is an awful way to go and adding essential oil burns on top of it sounds awful. I'm so sorry for your entire family, especially the husband.

Anne-Marie
blog: www.soap-queen.blogspot.com
supplies: www.brambleberry.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:03 am 

How horrible for your family member!

I'm so glad to see the FDA is finally getting involved with the claims these MLMs make about their oils.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:45 am 

I am so sorry for your loss. How terrible.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:24 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:00 am 

How awful! May I quote you on my blog?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:49 pm 

What a horrible thing to be inflicted on a loved one, by a loved one, even under good intentions. I can't imagine being a family member and watching this. Hoping for peace for all of you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:44 pm 

Can I share this with a bunch of ladies I'm in a FB group with? Many of them are very big into essential oil treatments.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:58 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:30 pm 

Irena and KatieBruce - sure, feel free to quote me. I am shocked that he is still breathing. We've all been waiting for an announcement of the end, but he's still hanging in there. Not responsive, but breathing. This really is horrific. :-(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:49 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:16 am 

That is awful! I'm so sorry to hear about that! I know some people think things can be cured or treated with essential oils and other such combinations as a "natural" remedy and the temptation to try it when you hear news like that. But if they had just stopped after the first sign of issues! If I got an infection or this or that I would stop any natural treatments and listen to the man with the medical degree.

Honestly if I had any illness or rumors or cancer I wouldn't look to natural remedies to begin with but people believe some crazy stuff if you tell them it's natural!

My shop: The Black Currant on Etsy!
My blog: http://www.theblackcurrantshop.wordpress.com
Also on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & YouTube!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:46 pm 

Sounds like the Wife is in a massive state of denial.

Years ago, a huckster (aka special speaker) came to my church extolling the benefits of drinking barley water and alfalfa juice. Claimed it would cure anything and everything. Since the man was a member of our church members took his word as gospel and some went off their meds. I remember my boyfriend at the time was losing his mother to cancer, and some woman publicly chided her for opting for chemo rather than going on this "natural" treatment.

I'm all for health and clean eating, but some of this is just freakin' crazy. I am so sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:40 pm 

Is there an update?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:55 am